And Another One (Major Key Alert) - La Puerca Plata

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

J4Roe

Chair Donkey
Sep 23, 2020
Phoenix
I can already see where this is going and we've only had the truck for 4 days. It's a 2004 Toyota Sequoia 4wd Limited with center diff lock. The truck has 204,000 and change and is in extremely good condition. Possibly mint. It came with unknown exhaust that sounds great but not too loud or droney and remote start. The truck also came with tow package with power trailer brakes. The previous owner must have also installed a front trailer hitch receiver and power supply for a winch has already been installed in the lower front grill area. PO also did a trans cooler with trans temp gauge. Overall super impressed with the care that this vehicle appears to have received over it's life. The vehicle also has polly sway bar links on the front and aftermarket LCA cam tabs. You can clearly see that somebody that had a love for Toyotas and 4wd owned this vehicle previously. There is absolutely no oil/fluid residue leaking from anywhere under the truck. Super impressed. The truck idles like it's brand new. It's honestly amazing.

We were able to take her out on her first LIMITED outing. I plan on putting tires on it this week but because the tires that are on there right now have some dry rot spider web cracking on the side and a few "dings" and little chunks missing on a few of the side walls we didn't want to take her too far. The Phoenix foothills received a little snow a couple of nights ago so we decided to head out to FOUR PEAKS near the Salt River.

We were able to find a little sand wash trail for about a mile to test the 4wd. We were heading up hill in sand in 4 HI while I was in 1st gear and it was too easy for the truck. Just mountain goat. I even came to a dead stop in the deepest sand that I could find heading up hill. Didn't even break traction. Absolutely unreal. My girlfriend was stressing because normally for the last 8 years for us that would have been a NO NO to stop in sand going up hill. I told her don't worry and it was too easy. She had a huge smile on her face. BAJA CA here we come!!!!!

We have a Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) trip in 2 weeks so the truck needs to be somewhat ready for that trip. We are taking 4 RP newbies, 2 of which have never been to Mexico at all. The other couple is from SD and has experience in TJ and Baja Norte.

Upgrades for Mexico:
  1. Tires - Toyo Open Country AT3 (tomorrow) hopefully lol
  2. Double Din Android Head Unit
  3. Fix Front Door Speaker Cones (fucking blown out) Apparently normal for Sequoias
Upgrades Complete:
  1. Clear Coat CUT and Condition (Meguire's)
  2. Clear Coat Sealant (Shine Armor Ceramic Coat)
  3. 55w HID Headlight (Hi/Lo)
  4. 3000k LED Amber Fog Light
Future Upgrades:
  1. KINGS BRO (factory replacement)
  2. Ext Springs and Smooth Bodies in the rear
  3. Fab sliders
  4. Fab beefier lower links
  5. custom front bumper
  6. Freezer/Fridge
  7. Air Compressor
  8. Dual Battery Set Up
Here's a few pics to get the THIRST TRAP started...

One Love!

Joe

smokeysevin

is Ron Burgundy?
Dec 28, 2012
Houston
Couple things to watch for:

Spindles can crack at the top where the upper ball joints are installed. If you are going to run an aftermarket arm with a uniball I like to weld the adapter into the spindle.

Timing belt and water pump are 100k service items check to see if they have been done.

The stock radiator is aluminum with plastic caps that eventually leak. Mine made it 175k before it started pissing at the seam. I grabbed a champion aluminum one but had to modify it to fit correctly. That may not be an issue for you since the Seq and Double Cab are the same and it looks like this was actually for a double cab...

00-03 had really shitty lower ball joints from the factory and they were supposed to be recalled. 04-06 should have gotten the bigger ones with the non-square bolt pattern

The alignment cams and sleeves for the bolts like to seize in together and take out the lower control arm bushings. All the aftermarket alignment parts suck ballz.

Otherwise, these trucks are awesome!

Sean

Reactions: J4Roe

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
Transmission crossmember likes to crack around the bolts that hold transmission mount in. Still need to weld mine up

Reactions: J4Roe

smokeysevin

is Ron Burgundy?
Dec 28, 2012
Houston
Transmission crossmember likes to crack around the bolts that hold transmission mount in. Still need to weld mine up
On the cross member or the frame side mounts?

I had not come across that before but my truck was 2wd for most of its life so that could be why.

Sean

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
On the cross member or the frame side mounts?

I had not come across that before but my truck was 2wd for most of its life so that could be why.

Sean
In the center where the transmission mount bolts. there are 4 bolts in the bottom that go into that crossmember. The metal cracks around those 4 bolts. Have seen it on a # of Tundras. I have to weld mine and a buddies right now. Mine clicks while going through parking lots and stuff due to the metal being broke.

Right in here (Look inside the access holes):

Top view:
Inspect your Transmission Crossmember | Toyota Tundra Forum

J4Roe

Chair Donkey
Sep 23, 2020
Phoenix
Couple things to watch for:

Spindles can crack at the top where the upper ball joints are installed. If you are going to run an aftermarket arm with a uniball I like to weld the adapter into the spindle.

Timing belt and water pump are 100k service items check to see if they have been done.

The stock radiator is aluminum with plastic caps that eventually leak. Mine made it 175k before it started pissing at the seam. I grabbed a champion aluminum one but had to modify it to fit correctly. That may not be an issue for you since the Seq and Double Cab are the same and it looks like this was actually for a double cab...

00-03 had really shitty lower ball joints from the factory and they were supposed to be recalled. 04-06 should have gotten the bigger ones with the non-square bolt pattern

The alignment cams and sleeves for the bolts like to seize in together and take out the lower control arm bushings. All the aftermarket alignment parts suck ballz.

Otherwise, these trucks are awesome!

Sean
Thanks for the heads up! It's funny you say that because 1-3 are relatable to the Taco. I also put a heavy tack on the outside of the adapter to the spindle because unlike yours cracking, one of mine had actually started to spin inside the hole of the spindle neck. When I would turn the wheels the adapter would spin inside the hole instead of the uniball doing it's thing and rotating. Said fuck it, can't hurt and put a large tack on the outside so it's easiest to cut when I need to get the adapter out of the spindle. I check it now and then and still good to go!

Issue two I've done on the 3.4 myself so I have experience and I don't think that will be an issue when it comes time. The problem is that I can't find anywhere if it's been done. With how well the engine idles and based on the fuel trims being the best that I've ever seen it's pry safe to assume that it's been done when it was supposed to have been done. Obv that's an educated guess and I would like some more certainty. The problem is some rich guy bought this vehicle for shits and giggles, actually 2 different Sequoias at the same time. One 2wd and the other (ours) 4wd. He only had this for a month before he decided he like the white one better. So in saying that, he didn't have the pertinent information that I would have liked to have had. HOWEVER, I do have the PO full name and address and he owned the truck for 5 years and put 60,000 miles on it so there's a good chance he's the one that did all the maintenance and upgrades. I'm going to try and see if I can find him on the internet and reach out to him.

ISSUE 3, I've dealt with about 4 times over the life of the Taco! Stock radiator is plenty good for cooling but as you've noted they don't last more than 2 or 3 years and I think the AZ sun and heat is what starts to fatigue the plastic. And they always crack on the top plastic tank or at least in my experiences. I will see if I can find the pictures but the last one that cracked I was in Rocky Point, Mexico at my friends parents house and we had been driving the truck pretty hard 3 straight days. Same crack on the top tank. Luckily for the last 4 or 5 years there's been an Auto Zone in town now. Wen't over there and the only thing they had was an 4 cylinder RAD. It's essentially the same thing but a little shorter. Mounting holes are the same but you do have to cut the shit out of the lower rad hose to fit so it ruins it but gets the job done. After watching years of ROADKILL I knew it would be good enough to get me back to AMERICA and Phx. The best part. I had a lifetime warranty through Autozone for the one that broke but because we were in Mexico and I had my head all the way up my ass I threw it away. Later realized that Autozone Mexico and US are technically different or at least for the warranty. US Autozone couldn't/wouldn't take back the Mexico rad. I only learned that because I was lazy and actually ran the 4 cylinder RAD for 2 more years after that!!!! LOLOLOL Then that one cracked at the top same thing so I finally decided to FUCK ALL THAT and go with a Champion 3 row from EBAY.

Issue 4 I've read about now a couple of times on the Sequoia-Forums. I guess we got lucky when we bought an 04! LOL but I do need to go out there and look to make sure that we have the newer LBJ 04 +.

Issue 5: I haven't read anything about the alignment cams yet to know anything so thank you I will definitely take note. I will have to get the brand that is etched onto the cam. I just saw that it's an aftermarket but can't remember the brand.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds