And Another One (Major Key Alert) - La Puerca Plata

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

bullnerd

Feb 1, 2008
Im probably way out of line here, but why not just roll it stock until you get the gear you want to do it right?

Can you make a few trips without lifting it?

J4Roe

Chair Donkey
Sep 23, 2020
Phoenix
We have
I found the cheapest Bills were from AJusa online store. I paid $90 each.

My friends own auto shops so I used their professional spring compressor. Probably worth the $50

I ran 285's for about 10yrs with no spacer on the stock wheels. Only slight rub on full turns. I added a 1.25 recently because it started rubbing more for some reason. I think the BFG newer design may be a little wider???

Rub all depends on which wheels you have. Friends with same year truck and different set of factory rims could not run without a spacer.
Ok cool. That actually helps give me an idea. So we have a rapidly developing situation here. I decided WhyTF am I going to buy 2 Billys to essentially lift the same spring and marginally better shock and not get virtually any benefit for that $225+spring compression cost and instead go with a 2" spacer lift which is going to be easier to install, less hassle, and it was $42. That should facilitate the 32.8 (metric 33) for the time being and do exactly what the Billy set up will provide.

Now, with reading what you wrote we'll see if I still need the 1.25" spacer with these LIMITED 17" alloys. I'd prefer no spacer but I also prefer no rubbing and again, this would be for the time being. Hopefully to get rid of the spacer we would buy new wheels with the built in backspacing/offset. Not a pro with that still learning. I think we would need a 0 offset or negative if I'm understanding that correctly. I believe the stock wheel is a 14mm offset. Wheels, UCA and KINGS BRO would take care of the spacers and as TURBOYOTA would say, "throw those spacers in the garbage".

So right now, on the way, I have:
  1. 285/70/17 Toyo Open Country AT3
  2. CHINA (DT voice) 1.25" hubcentric (with raised inner lip) billet aluminum wheel spacers (4)
  3. CHINA 1.5" coilover spacer (level spacer)
I plan on letting the rear SELF CLEARANCE, anyone object to that idea? I considered raising the rear in the same manner with a spring spacer for 1" total lift but I don't even want to go down this route at all. Waste of money. I only need the absolute minimum to get by for a couple of months until KINGS BRO!!!!!!

The other reason the situation has been fluid and rapidly developing this morning is because we only have 10 days until MEXICO brahhhh and I don't want to order something incorrectly and jeopardize not being able to drive this PIG OINK OINKKK!!!! This rig definitely ain't KOSHER baby!

J4Roe

Chair Donkey
Sep 23, 2020
Phoenix
Im probably way out of line here, but why not just roll it stock until you get the gear you want to do it right?

Can you make a few trips without lifting it?
Really only doing this if it's completely necessary. I'd rather just leave it stock and let the tires rub a little but if it's severe enough to not enjoy the vehicle at all then this other shit is completely necessary evil. Trust me I have gone back and forth with myself 100 times last night and this morning. I'm over those days of wasting money. I want to go straight for what we want the first time. EFFICIENCY IS KINGGGG BRO!

Reactions: bullnerd

J4Roe

Chair Donkey
Sep 23, 2020
Phoenix
I can't even tell you guys what I'm about to go outside and do to the factory JBL door speakers... Apparently it happens on every Toyota JBL factory system. The front 7" mid speaker, the foam around the cone just degrades over time and literally falls apart. It makes the speakers sound like they're blown.

This is another CAN OF WORMS... Because we have this upgraded factory JBL system and it's apparently low impedance (still learning this as well), I cant just replace the speakers with aftermarket unless I want to upgrade the head unit and bypass the factory amplifiers. Again, just another $300 CAN O WORM distraction from my KINGS BRO! SMH... Soooooo, in saying that, I found a couple of solutions. One is to go to simplyspeaker.com and buy new foam ring kit that comes with glue to fix the factory speakers. $28 for the front. Not bad. Ok so then I see on YouTube this DONKEY take silicone cauk and go to it on the deteriorated foam ring. He plays the speakers at the end and it appears comparable so.... LOOOOOLLLLLLLLL bout to BUCAUKE these speakers uuuuhhh iuuu uuuh uuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh (OG mudbone voice).

Again, this is to get by for this trip in 10 days or else I would be more inclined to doing it the right way :)

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
I had the JBL. A few weeks after buying the truck new I went with Head unit, Doors, Sub, Amps and cross overs.... So I bailed all the stock stuff right away

Reactions: J4Roe

J4Roe

Chair Donkey
Sep 23, 2020
Phoenix
I had the JBL. A few weeks after buying the truck new I went with Head unit, Doors, Sub, Amps and cross overs.... So I bailed all the stock stuff right away
I bought the Metra (like) RDBS harness to utilize the factory amplifiers with new head unit but I don't know if I want to do the head unit before our trip so pry putting it off for a couple of weeks...

I think I'm going with this Android unit so I can use BackCountry Navigator and Torque Pro. Back up camera for the trailer. Should be pretty solid set up. I think the factory JBL system should sound pretty good when the speakers get fixed. Maybe one day after the head unit I will switch to all aftermarket and sub.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds