And Another One (Major Key Alert) - La Puerca Plata

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

J4Roe

Chair Donkey
Sep 23, 2020
Phoenix
Oh derp yeahhhhh I was all sorts of bassackwards

Sean

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
Nah, I knew what you meant. The plunger can actually separate at full droop and bottom out at full bump but neither were happening. The plunger on the Taco is at the diff end of the shaft and the plunger on the Sequoia is on the opposite end. Weird. At first look I thought the Sequoia didn't have a slip plunger...

J4Roe

Chair Donkey
Sep 23, 2020
Phoenix
Damn DR!!! I haven't been on in a couple of weeks because life got hectic!!!!!! I was in hot pursuit of my all time dream of owning a center console fishing boat. Two weekends ago we drove to Mexico to look at the boat. The boat turned out to be what I thought it was in the pictures; a viable used good starting point center console. After we left the guys house my girlfriend told me that I have to sell the jet ski first if I want this boat. I said ok and the rest of the weekend we hung out and did some off roading with a friend I grew up with that was in town on the same weekend. His buddy had a newer LandCruiser and my buddy has an 05 Toyota 4Runner V8 4x4. We fucked off hard in the sand. Almost got stuck but managed to weasel out of it. We also towed the jet ski to try and fish but the wind had other plans. We managed to get the ski out one day for a couple of hours but that was it. Didn't really take any pictures and it was back to Phoenix.

Got back Monday night. I was working against the clock of demand if I wanted to get this ski sold this week. The week or Memorial Day??? Demand can't be higher... Tuesday after work I pressure washed the ski. Wednesday I waxed it and touched up the trailer with some fresh paint. I put the ad and pics on Offerup at about 1030pm Wednesday night. I woke up Thursday with about 10 messages. By noon Thursday it appeared that I had a serious buyer scheduled to see the ski after I got off of work. This guy was pulling into my complex before I could even get out of the car. Boom boom boom, shake hands and there she goes! I message the guy with the boat and say cash in hand let's do this ASAP! He was going back down to MECHICO for Memorial so Sunday morning I left Phoenix at 6am and was in Rocky Point by 945am to buy the boat. Had a brunch and beer and then went to the guys house. We bullshitted for a while, made sure everything was running/working and his wife fed me some Sierra Mackerel ceviche for a late lunch. I paid the man and hooked up the trailer. I left RP Mexico at 230pm and was back in Phoenix at my place by 630pm.

This was also the first real test of the Sequoia's towing capability. Not that I have anything to compare it to as this is all new to me. I do know this. You couldn't feel the jet ski. You can feel the boat! LOL Trans temp stayed normal during towing but mpg's were down into the 10.8 area. All in all not too bad but when you lose momentum it's hard to get back up and going with that 4.7. Tomorrow we leave for ZION NAT PARK, staying in Huricane, UT about 5 minutes from Sand Hollow sand dunes/recreational area. We're taking a Can-AM RC with us from Nash. We'll see what kind of shit mileage we get because we have to go up through Flagstaff so that's a 6,000 ft climb up the hill from Phoenix. It will be my first time towing anything of significance uphill. Hopefully the 4.7 sacks the fuck up!!!

Until next week DR!

Joe

J4Roe

Chair Donkey
Sep 23, 2020
Phoenix
Nice boat!

I don't know shit about boats. Is that more for saltwater/gulf?
Yea it's a center console. Generally used in Sea of Cortez, Gulf of Mexico, San Diego/Los Angeles and East Coast from FL up to Maine. Albeit not as many on the Left Coast and less than a handful in the desert so this is a pretty rare find. Especially for price. The truck just got put on the back burner. It's supposed to be 117 three times this week in Phoenix so boat has to get it's make over quicker than originally anticipated. Kind of doing a little restoration/customization.

In other Sequoia news: We towed a Can-Am Maverick RC to Southern Utah last weekend. Report and pictures to come. She made it without any issues but maybe a little concerns about cooling capacity under load. We had to climb to over 7,000 ft twice in our 7 hour trip to the Hurricane, UT area. That 4.7 was absolutely rapped out the entire trip there. I felt bad. 3, down shift 2, hold 2 until almost explodes, upshift 3. Hold 3 for 3 seconds until speed falls off cliff, back down to 2. Jesus I felt soooo bad for her!

smokeysevin

is Ron Burgundy?
Dec 28, 2012
Houston
Yea it's a center console. Generally used in Sea of Cortez, Gulf of Mexico, San Diego/Los Angeles and East Coast from FL up to Maine. Albeit not as many on the Left Coast and less than a handful in the desert so this is a pretty rare find. Especially for price. The truck just got put on the back burner. It's supposed to be 117 three times this week in Phoenix so boat has to get it's make over quicker than originally anticipated. Kind of doing a little restoration/customization.

In other Sequoia news: We towed a Can-Am Maverick RC to Southern Utah last weekend. Report and pictures to come. She made it without any issues but maybe a little concerns about cooling capacity under load. We had to climb to over 7,000 ft twice in our 7 hour trip to the Hurricane, UT area. That 4.7 was absolutely rapped out the entire trip there. I felt bad. 3, down shift 2, hold 2 until almost explodes, upshift 3. Hold 3 for 3 seconds until speed falls off cliff, back down to 2. Jesus I felt soooo bad for her!
4.56's should be mandatory with anything over 31.5" tires.

The trans hunts wayyyyyyy less and will keep the temps a lot lower as a result.

Sean

Reactions: J4Roe and the bodj

J4Roe

Chair Donkey
Sep 23, 2020
Phoenix
4.56's should be mandatory with anything over 31.5" tires.

The trans hunts wayyyyyyy less and will keep the temps a lot lower as a result.

Sean
I bought that 8.4 carrier with 4:88 and lockrite locker a while back for the Tacoma but I've been thinking about putting it in the Sequoia. Not sure if it's suitable for highway use however... The whole way home I was telling my girl that we have to up the gearing so it carries third gear better.

J4Roe

Chair Donkey
Sep 23, 2020
Phoenix
Or just manually drop it into 2 and throttle it.
I started doing that on the way home but near the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, through Navajo nation you're at like 5500 ft and seemingly going down hill but still against grade and second gear would have been in the red but third is a dog.

Reactions: mikey09120

J4Roe

Chair Donkey
Sep 23, 2020
Phoenix
I wanted to post up our Utah pics first but breaking news on the Sequoia. She's a little wounded. On the way home from Utah I was hearing the intermittent squealing on hard acceleration. We got home and I didn't think of it again until this past Sunday. It was 115 and the AC unit for the condo blew a fuse. We had to go to Home Depot but because my Honda Civic daily AC compressor just shit the bed after 10 months of life we drove the Sequoia. While honey boo boo was inside getting the fuse I'm sitting there listening to music and I hear this shit is getting bad now. I turn down the music and listen to the squeal getting bad. I shut off the AC to see if it was the compressor. Nope. I was hoping just a bad pulley bearing but when we got home I popped the hood and saw the fan wobble when the noise happens... WATER PUMP.

Maybe that's why we saw 221 on the Torque Pro climbing out of Phoenix??? It's not weeping but it's 100% the water pump starting to fail. Not the worst thing in the world because I can't verify if the timing belt has been done recently. I found a service inspection paperwork in the glove box from 2017 where owner declined water pump/timing belt service at one of the biggest Toyota dealers in Phoenix, Bell Road Toyota. Truck had 170k on it at that time in 2017. I couldn't find anything else confirming that it's been done. With how well it idles I'd venture to say it's been done but only a guess after owning a Toyota for 12 years. Regardless, all of that is now moot because the water pump has to be changed so obviously I'm going to do the T Belt too...

Just kind of a kick in the nuts right now. We're breaking heat records, 117 three times this week with some cooler 115 days mixed in!!! LOL fuck my life. I absolutely have to do the AC compressor in the Civic first because I can't stand driving with no AC and coming home from work today at 5pm in stop and go freeway traffic and it was 117 I wanted to kill myself.

Other caveat is that until we fix THE PIG we can't take the boat out... LOL fucking kidding me?! If I didn't have bad luck I wouldn't have any luck at all. Story of my life. I will persevere but man this shit gets old!

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds