Another shitty, white, beamed ranger...

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

garrettw

Mar 23, 2015
San Clemente, CA
Temecula too far? E&J wireworks does excellent work.
Thanks, temeculas fine. I just need my 4.0 harness married to the chassis harness and all the engine wiring bullshit from the previous 2.3 deleted/cut out... the wiring mess i have going on right now is most likely responsible for my transmission problems after getting it scanned and diagnosed by a couple people and I’m to the point where professional help seems like the fastest route to getting my truck in the dirt...

bri_man57

Need to Build
Jul 11, 2005
Ventura, California
Got ya, so ttb4 shows as a 97 explorer sohc so thats good. Was the entire harness swapped over or just the engine bay or?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

garrettw

Mar 23, 2015
San Clemente, CA
Got ya, so ttb4 shows as a 97 explorer sohc so thats good. Was the entire harness swapped over or just the engine bay or?

To my understanding the motor and trans has the factory harness completely intact up until the plug that connects the motor harness to the vehicle. That’s where things get weird, from that plug my uncle spliced the necessary wires like power, grounds and a few others like check eng light etc. straight to the 2.3 motor/truck harness. He left the 2.3 ecu in place and I traced some wires he ran that go through it... I suspect that’s the root of my problem but I’m kind of hesitant to chop out the 2.3 ecu right now... have you done this swap before?

bri_man57

Need to Build
Jul 11, 2005
Ventura, California
Got ya, that is one way to do it! I would think if the engine bay harness was all stil together along with the trans wiring, and the pcm is correct that the trans should shift okay. What makes you think that isnt the case?

Havent done this exact swap to an obd 1, but did put an 02 sohc in my 96 way before there was a lot of info on how to do it lol. Im actually running it off the ohv computer, as that was the easiest way to avoid pats compatibility issues. Your 97 wouldn't have had that so no worries there.

I did a ton, and i mean a ton, of research on sohc swaps when i did mine so let me know if you have any questions.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds