Another Toyota, on a Ranger site? This I have to see... (01 Tundra boring "build")

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

Horunner

Aug 10, 2014
Yucaipa, CA
If your tires are worn funny I’d suggest rotating them to the rears then trying again. My km2s started wearing funny and causing a weird vibration. Rotated them and they rounded out. No idea what caused it but it happened.

smokeysevin

is Ron Burgundy?
Dec 28, 2012
Houston
If your tires are worn funny I’d suggest rotating them to the rears then trying again. My km2s started wearing funny and causing a weird vibration. Rotated them and they rounded out. No idea what caused it but it happened.
I will probably do that anyways but the rears aren't much better. I had really bad lower control arm bushings when I first got the tires put on, then once I fixed it, the shop that did the alignmnet put way too much toe on it. Realistically, it needs 5 new tires but I don't want to do that yet.

I should mention, the tires are on the same spot as before so really the only thing that could have changed was the allignment.

Could the tires have gotten flat spots from not being driven? I have not put many miles on it for a month or so.

Sean

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Horunner

Aug 10, 2014
Yucaipa, CA
I will probably do that anyways but the rears aren't much better. I had really bad lower control arm bushings when I first got the tires put on, then once I fixed it, the shop that did the alignmnet put way too much toe on it. Realistically, it needs 5 new tires but I don't want to do that yet.

I should mention, the tires are on the same spot as before so really the only thing that could have changed was the allignment.

Could the tires have gotten flat spots from not being driven? I have not put many miles on it for a month or so.

Sean

Depends on the tire and how long it was sitting. Probably not unless they’re like race compound tires like Baja TAs or something. Did you knock weights off the wheels when you were doing work on the suspension and cvs and stuff? If your cvs aren’t spinning and driveshaft hasn’t been smacked or is loose I’d guess it is something to do with balancing/uneven wear. Does your steering wheel shake or is it just felt in your ass or feet?

smokeysevin

is Ron Burgundy?
Dec 28, 2012
Houston
They are goodyear duratracs, not race tires at all.

All weights are accounted for.

It vibrates the seat/truck, thats the weird part. I have driven unbalanced front tires and it shakes the crap out of your wrists. This feels like a bad u joint. May be time to yank the rear shaft out and swap all the joints for new ones.

Sean

Horunner

Aug 10, 2014
Yucaipa, CA
They are goodyear duratracs, not race tires at all.

All weights are accounted for.

It vibrates the seat/truck, thats the weird part. I have driven unbalanced front tires and it shakes the crap out of your wrists. This feels like a bad u joint. May be time to yank the rear shaft out and swap all the joints for new ones.

Sean

That is strange it’s not in the wheel. Def check the u joints.

smokeysevin

is Ron Burgundy?
Dec 28, 2012
Houston
Well that was a disaster. My original tundra 2wd shaft used 1310 u joints, the couble cardan on the 4wd shaft uses some kind of oddball toyota-fu u joint that I had to order. I found that out by trying to install a 1310 joint only to find out that the width of the assembly prevents the snap rings from seating. Its not off by much but since I am chasing vibrations, I have no intention of doing a hack job.

Because I did not do my homework on that before I took the driveshaft apart, my originally rwd, 4wd converted tundra is currently fwd...

Parts should be here next week, good thing I am not depending on the truck to empy out my storage unit or anything.

The driveshaft appears to be in decent shape, it had a major coating of road dust and grime which could have been the issue. The oe joints felt reasonably tight but were on the dry side. All of them are getting replaced now.

Self inflicted headaches are the worst.

Sean

Last edited:

smokeysevin

is Ron Burgundy?
Dec 28, 2012
Houston
Rebuilt the cv joint and flug grease allllllllll over the bottom of the truck but at least its super smooth now. The front shaft also needs to be rebuilt because at 50+ in 4wd it starts to feel like sitting on a magic wand.

The front shaft looks like standard 1310 u joint with standard squiggly clips though so there is that.

Sean

Horunner

Aug 10, 2014
Yucaipa, CA
Rebuilt the cv joint and flug grease allllllllll over the bottom of the truck but at least its super smooth now. The front shaft also needs to be rebuilt because at 50+ in 4wd it starts to feel like sitting on a magic wand.

The front shaft looks like standard 1310 u joint with standard squiggly clips though so there is that.

Sean

It’s like anti rust coating when the grease goes everywhere.

smokeysevin

is Ron Burgundy?
Dec 28, 2012
Houston
I am thinking about getting some shirts made with the manual hub as the logo, these are just concepts but I would love some feedback.

I could also do "Sand" and "Rocks" or something else. I am also leaning towards filling in the text.

Sean

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds