Another Toyota, on a Ranger site? This I have to see... (01 Tundra boring "build")

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

smokeysevin

is Ron Burgundy?
Dec 28, 2012
Houston
Cheap flounder fishing lights.

18" 1.5"x1.5"×3/16" aluminum angle

4 18w 2x6 led lights

2 4' lenghts of 0.5" conduit/pvc

4 3/4" pipe clamps

8 m6x1.0x20mm bolts

2 m6x1.0x40mm bolts

10 m6x1.0 flange nuts

100ish feet 12awg speaker wire (cheap dual conductor wire that I had)

2 12awg ring terminals for 1/4" bolt

Adhesive lined heat shrink

Crystal clear epoxy potting resin

Making the lights waterproof

Disassemble the lights and make "dams" out of foil tape.

Place lights so that the forward face is horizontal. Mix and pour the epoxy halfway up. Reinstall reflectors and pour epoxy to fully enclose all components. Let cure and remove tape.

Once the tape is off, sand the edges flush so the end caps can be reattached.

Making light mounts

Cut the aluminum into 2 9" lenghts and drill 3/8 holes into ends for lights to attach. Drill half inch hole into center of tube for cable passthrough. Drill 5 1/4" holes into vertical leg for mounting pvc tube. Drill the center hole last once tube is installed. Join lights together and connect light to wire. Add fuses and ring terminals for battery connections.

Catch some fish.

Sean

Last edited:

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
the jet ski projects snowball just as fast as our trucks. At least at my house they do
dsrtcr01 I see pp550 engines for like $150-200 all the time on 550 facebook page. I would just drop in one of those to get through the summer
Hmm. Need to look for a 550 facebook page then. I see them on C-list and other places but they want like 4-500 and that is a risk if I cant tell if it runs or not.

smokeysevin

is Ron Burgundy?
Dec 28, 2012
Houston
You'd better post some fishing pictures
Will do next time I head out, I tested the lights last night but no fish. The lights worked great but the cords are too short and the pattern needs to be adjusted.

Turns out the spot I knew about 10 years ago is not accessible anymore. 2 hurricanes and shit loads of "no trespassing unless you want to get a hot lead injection" signs closed off access.

Canopy worked great, I may add another tarp to offer more shade.

4wd worked well but I need to remember to disengage the hubs after setting them to freewheel, they liked to stay stuck unless I put the truck in reverse then back in drive. Not sure if that is normal of if something is up.

Sean

smokeysevin

is Ron Burgundy?
Dec 28, 2012
Houston
My truck started clicking and vibrating at about 65mph on the way to work this morning, I figured out it was coming from the transfer case once I made it off the highway and was able to get the noise to stop by switching between 2wd high, 4wd high, and 4wd low, then back to 2wd high. Unfortunately the noise came back and would go away after repeating the reset process. It would come back at shorter intervals each time.

I got home and blew apart the transfer case to try and find what was wrong and the only thing I found was that the synchro on the main shaft had the teeth ground down. I found lots of fine tooth shavings all throughout the case and planetary assembly.

With the case all apart, I cleaned and flushed everything out in my parts washer. Before I can get it back together though I have a few questions.

Can I order just the replacement synchro or is this a replace the case scenario?

Best guess on what happened is that somehow, the truck tried to shift into 4wd on the highway. I have manual locking hubs which were set to free and the transfer case was firmly on the detent in 2wd.

There should be no way for the truck to have the transfer case change from 2wd to 4wd while driving. There are no electronics in the case at all and the shifters are cable driven off a lever in the cab.

The only thing I could think of is that the 3 little detents plate things on the main gear that the synchro connects with for 2wd and 4wd were installed incorrectly when I reassembled the case after I modified the shift rails to for the twin stick shifter.

Is there anything I missed here?

Sean

smokeysevin

is Ron Burgundy?
Dec 28, 2012
Houston
Replace the syncro and find the issue. Brass through the case isn't that bad.
After inspecting the gears, I figured that would be the case. It looks like you can't buy just the syncro and toyota wants $300 for a replacement gear assembly. I may see if I can throw the gear assembly from my stock transfer case into this one.

Can you think of anything that would have caused the transfer case to try to shift on its own? The shifter cables weren't rubbing and all the mounts were tight. When I took the case apart I didn't see anything that jumped out at me. The fluid still looked fine except for the excess brass in it. When I was limping the truck home anytime I shifted the case to reset it, the movement felt normal.

Sean

smokeysevin

is Ron Burgundy?
Dec 28, 2012
Houston
I would say the problem is in the twin stick set-up, stock shifter is almost impossible to do that unless you try to shift it at 40MPH repeatedly.
It certanly seems to be that way, I just can't figure out what would be causing it. Nothing was moving and the shift rails were on the detents. I was also just cruising on the highway around 70ish with the front hubs unlocked so there was not change in load.

The shifter is the only non-oe thing on the transfer case. I talked to Rock Steady Toys this morning about the issue and they were saying that with the twin stick, its not uncommon to have the truck shift from high to neutral, or low to neutral when getting off or on the gas. They hadn't heard of the 2 to 4 thing like this before.

They recommend swapping to a stiffer detent spring on the range select side to fix that in a twin stick setup. That got me thinking as to id I put the detent springs in wrong when I removed the interlock pin to allow for 2 low.

I already have the hole in the floor and the boot to run the stock j shift pattern shifter but the winters shifter for the trans is in the way now.

Sean

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds