Any info on this truck?

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

chewy0288

Mega Member
Dec 11, 2011
near sacramento
98 ranger. 4wd. Has “Viking” frame gussets and coil bucket delete. Has a “Viking engineering” sticker on the rear window from Ventura.

My buddy just bought it from a kid up here in nor cal. Looks like some one parted out a lot of cool stuff before they sold it, this kid got it and beat on it pretty hard. Definitely needs some TLC.
But we’re going to clean it up and have some fun with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chewy0288

Mega Member
Dec 11, 2011
near sacramento
So... I didn’t get to check it out yet, but I was told it had a transfer case, and a 4wd switch on the dash. It was also listed as 4wd. But it looks like the frame and lower are from a 2wd...maybe? I’ll have to get out there and get a better look at it tomorrow.

Bertismyname

Oct 1, 2018
San Diego
Is just me or does the camber look way too positive for and a arm truck. Also looks as if there is no room to adjust that out and still keep any caster.

chewy0288

Mega Member
Dec 11, 2011
near sacramento
Well, like I said, it looks like some one parted it out before they sold it. I’m wondering if it had btf lowers and some one just threw stock lowers on before they sold it.

chewy0288

Mega Member
Dec 11, 2011
near sacramento
Ok, so the truck is at my house now.
And we got a little more info. It had a cab swap. DMV knows it had a cab swap. I can only assume, they put the same trans from that cab swap donor. Which had 4wd. But it appears that it’s a 2wd frame.
Yes, the passenger coilover shaft is bent. It’s bent at the upper portion of its travel. Leading me to believe the upper may have done it during droop. At droop the uppers are touching the coilovers. But they are also adjusted all the way in, in an attempt to mitigate camber I’m guessing.

This opens more questions...
is it a stock replacement upper? Is it a btf long travel kit that some one robbed the lowers from? Is it the btf mid travel kit that only comes with uppers?

It has bump stop cans, but clearly doesn’t look like they were bumping off of the stock lower. Leading me into the next set of questions. What would you do next as far as front suspension? (Obviously a new trans will go in next week, and we will be getting a new shock shaft)

Also included a cool picture of the rear crossmember, a cutting edge that was recycled from a tractor implement. Lol

Attachments

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds