Attempting my 1st prerunner build (1st gen std cab 4x4)

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

Reformedwheeler

The Fed
Dec 5, 2021
Washington St.
I’ve had this thing for about 5 years when I got it, It had been severely abused. I had to have the head rebuilt (2.7l, it had cracks in 3 of the exhaust valves). It also had terrible lifts on it. So now I have 2.0 10” sway-aways, just a deaver aal pack. I just want to do a 3.5” over kit. I’m currently building a tubing bender to build bumpers and cage. I really need advice for what to do as far as the rear kit and the front kit (suspension). I see like heim lower ball joints and heim steering. I’m gonna gusset the spindles. I’ll put the double sheer kit for ucas. I’m gonna attempt to modify my own cv axles. I guess I was wondering if there is a suggestion for doing the rear axle. Should I put a tundra axle on or just run the stock axle with wheel spacers or different snouts/hubs that will lengthen the rear track width. Thanks.

She’s a beaut Clark!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: DirtFiend602

desert_steve

Oct 21, 2007
Phelan, ca
www.clean-dezert.org
BTF, Total Chaos, and Camburg all make front kits for your truck. Pretty sure all 3 use a uniball upper and ball joint lower.

For the rear Id suggest keeping it simple with some 62" deavers and longer shackles. A T100, Tundra, Sequoia, or newer Tacoma rear end will work (make sure the widths will work). Spacers would be the cheaper option though. Whether you use the stock rear end or put a different one in youll have to weld spring pads onto the housing for a "spring under" with the 62" deavers.

Reformedwheeler

The Fed
Dec 5, 2021
Washington St.
BTF, Total Chaos, and Camburg all make front kits for your truck. Pretty sure all 3 use a uniball upper and ball joint lower.

For the rear Id suggest keeping it simple with some 62" deavers and longer shackles. A T100, Tundra, Sequoia, or newer Tacoma rear end will work (make sure the widths will work). Spacers would be the cheaper option though. Whether you use the stock rear end or put a different one in youll have to weld spring pads onto the housing for a "spring under" with the 62" deavers.
Ok thanks, what do you mean “make sure the width will work”?

Reformedwheeler

The Fed
Dec 5, 2021
Washington St.

By width do you mean like clearance for shocks , bumps and mounts? Or trying to keep the track width front and rear the same depending on the kit you go with?

dsrtrcr01

Booshie Cat
Jan 31, 2005
Are you building your own Arms or looking to go Total chaos or something along those lines?

We just ordered Deaver H70's today. About $1050 for leafs and bushings. Then you would need leaf spring perches front, shackles and pivots for rear, a Ubolt kit and spring perch for the rear end.

Width should be about the same as your frint

Reformedwheeler

The Fed
Dec 5, 2021
Washington St.
Are you building your own Arms or looking to go Total chaos or something along those lines?

We just ordered Deaver H70's today. About $1050 for leafs and bushings. Then you would need leaf spring perches front, shackles and pivots for rear, a Ubolt kit and spring perch for the rear end.

Width should be about the same as your frint
I was just gonna buy a pre made kit for the front. I’m wondering what I should do on the rear because I’m debating if I should put in like a Torsen style locker because it’s currently open diff. I think there is some tundra axles that are same spline and third member bolt size. I’m just trying to think of the details so I’m not buying stuff twice and wasting time and. Money. I do want to keep it spring under and I’m thinking maybe not going through the bed and doing the outside the frame hoops or mount. I really don’t know what I’m doing I’ve just been reading tons and watching as many videos as I can trying to get an idea of setup. I guess I bring up the hoops because I currently have 1.5” spacers that came on the truck and I wonder if the hoops and shocks will fit with that setup or should I get an axle. I’m only wanting a 3.5” over because I think I can get cheaper tundra front cv axles that way.

Last edited:

Do Dah

May 13, 2012
I’m running a true track in the rear of my 4Runner. It’s great, can’t feel in on the street and I always have traction in the dirt.

Reactions: smokeysevin

Reformedwheeler

The Fed
Dec 5, 2021
Washington St.
I’m running a true track in the rear of my 4Runner. It’s great, can’t feel in on the street and I always have traction in the dirt.
Who makes that one? I was looking at the powertrax grip pro. It’s suppose to be quiet and doesn’t requirerebuilding or special oils.

Last edited:

desert_steve

Oct 21, 2007
Phelan, ca
www.clean-dezert.org
Ok thanks, what do you mean “make sure the width will work”?

Correct, double check that the track width isnt too wide.

Im running an 05+ e-locker rear end in my 4runner and its .25" wider per side than my TC front end.

I have a detroit locker in my pickup and I hate it. Id run a limited slip like mentioned above and call it a day.

As for mounting the shocks outboard of the frame, if you run a wider rear end or some big spacers its possible. Or just mount them under the bed. with the stock rear end.

Reformedwheeler

The Fed
Dec 5, 2021
Washington St.
Correct, double check that the track width isnt too wide.

Im running an 05+ e-locker rear end in my 4runner and its .25" wider per side than my TC front end.

I have a detroit locker in my pickup and I hate it. Id run a limited slip like mentioned above and call it a day.

As for mounting the shocks outboard of the frame, if you run a wider rear end or some big spacers its possible. Or just mount them under the bed. with the stock rear end.
Ok, great thanks. I ordered a traction aid. I figure I can always get a wider axle housing and shafts later if needed. Do you or anyone for that matter have any suggestions as to how to get maximum travel without going through the bed? I want to keep the truck kinda utilitarian, be able to use the bed forgetting parts and stuff. I was thinking from my research that hoops outside the frame looked like the best bet. I’m open to any suggestions.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds