B-Fab Ranger Build

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

oorracing

<span style="color: orange;">DR Mod</span>
Jan 15, 2006
Long Beach Ca
Geoff is a very interesting individual. I’m the few months i worked there probably 10 years ago, every 64 kit that he sold was different. Obviously there is different front and rear hangers and shackle lengths for different applications, however he usually didn’t have one or two of everything in stock so if you walked in and bought a 64 kit it was whatever hangers and shackles he had in stock. Also his motto for building customer stuff was to build it as simple and minimalistic as possible. I asked why and he said that if the customer doesn’t come back with any problems on the truck, it was built just fine for how they drive and I saved money on tubing. If it broke and the customer came back, I got to charge them for additional labor and material to add a few more tubes and make it stronger than it was before and i made money. Besides that business ideology and others I didn’t continue working there very long haha

Jun 21, 2007
Bakersfield Ca
bakerfabrication.net
Yeah I agree with all the above... lol :LOL:. His theories are completely different from everyone else but lets be honest, his shits banged the desert floor for a very long time and has worked. Its a strange deal over there haha. But hes proved it doesnt have to "correct' haha

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
Geoff is a very interesting individual. I’m the few months i worked there probably 10 years ago, every 64 kit that he sold was different. Obviously there is different front and rear hangers and shackle lengths for different applications, however he usually didn’t have one or two of everything in stock so if you walked in and bought a 64 kit it was whatever hangers and shackles he had in stock. Also his motto for building customer stuff was to build it as simple and minimalistic as possible. I asked why and he said that if the customer doesn’t come back with any problems on the truck, it was built just fine for how they drive and I saved money on tubing. If it broke and the customer came back, I got to charge them for additional labor and material to add a few more tubes and make it stronger than it was before and i made money. Besides that business ideology and others I didn’t continue working there very long haha
Hahahaha. The reason I had initially called him was to ask about what original holes to reference on the frame since only 2 of 8 holes actually matched up on each side. He just said every frame is different and gave me a very simple set up procedure lol. Tons of porosity in the brackets, though. And ripped plate on the outside of bends. Literally super easy to see before welding it in. Still burned it together with porosity, didn't fix the ripped plate, and sent it out to powdercoat.

drilled a stop, ground it out, and tigged back over it. Note the copious amounts of spatter

themoneypit

Jul 30, 2018
Missouri
Hahahaha. The reason I had initially called him was to ask about what original holes to reference on the frame since only 2 of 8 holes actually matched up on each side. He just said every frame is different and gave me a very simple set up procedure lol. Tons of porosity in the brackets, though. And ripped plate on the outside of bends. Literally super easy to see before welding it in. Still burned it together with porosity, didn't fix the ripped plate, and sent it out to powdercoat.

View attachment 236153

drilled a stop, ground it out, and tigged back over it. Note the copious amounts of spatter

View attachment 236154
Goddamn that's just lazy. They're already running the metal hot-glue gun. Squirt some in the crack at least.

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
Goddamn that's just lazy. They're already running the metal hot-glue gun. Squirt some in the crack at least.
Yes. Like, your face is a couple inches away from the part since you're welding that inside corner. It's obvious they saw it and said screw it.

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
WOW... I had a couple of intersting conversations with him myself. Let's just say I wouldn't be spending my hard earned cash there. I feel like that a lot with some of these fab shops though...

Desert doesnt seem to care about "theory" and being perfect, that is for sure. I sill wouldn't build a truck where shit is all out of wack... just because "it worked"

OH>>>>> and I would be hesitant to shrink the wheelbase too much in back if you plan on getting glass to fit. The lower front panel is where I have run into clearance issues on most glass.... and moving wheel forward would make that worse.

Jun 21, 2007
Bakersfield Ca
bakerfabrication.net
Been chipping away at the truck some more. Got the rear cab mount crossmember out and the carrier bearing crossmember out of the frame. I will be doing a custom carrier bearing crossmember once I get all the inner upper link mounts in. Started drilling all the frame to mount them. Once the holes are done I’ll remove and get them welded up and clean all the frame up.

I got the rear axle lower tabs all drawn up with the over lays and boxing plates as well as all the upper housing tabs and gussets drawn up. I will try to get them cut out on the table tonight or tomorrow. Hoping to have the rear suspension swinging by Thursday.

I've always used 1.75x.120 for the upper links. Is that still good or should I sleeve 1.50x .95 into it?

0DA8A572-714E-4B86-98EE-386E71948BEC.jpeg
E8E83987-14E8-42CC-83D1-B11E2942CE77.jpeg
E538635B-59AE-4E90-B8E5-2B605FC6B3C2.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds