Banner to S2

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

Travisfab

Staff member
Aug 21, 2003
San Diego
Met up with some buddies for an exploratory trip down Banner grade. This was my first time on this trail, and I've always wanted to check it out as an alternate route home from my normal stomping grounds in Anza Borrego.

Bland grey SUV crew, lol

My son was pointing to the gate that was thankfully unlocked!

Gotta love some public land

Got into some pretty cool areas, we were at about 4000ft elevation

Looking SE

Then we started to get into a bit more challenging area as descended into the desert floor

You can see some of the trail here & water flowing in the creek below

I dont know much about the history of this road, but there are definitely some very old, man made "supports"

High desert scenery

Here we are starting to get close to the desert floor

Pee break, EVERYTHING here had thorns!

We then dropped in to the S2 and went about 10 miles south, just south of Canyon Sin Nombre, and got back into the dirt on the west side of the S2

I stopped taking pictures after this because my kid cut the shit out of his leg on a piece of random scrap metal. If you're familiar with the area in Anza Borrego, we were out by the rail road tracks and water tower. This is an area that was once used for gypsum mining and we were in what I think would have been a loading area. There are random, old things all over the place. I had a first aid kit, I dressed his wound, and headed back into town so that he could get stitched up. I always carry a first aid kit, and the one I have is halfway decent, but it wasnt enough. It had only two butterflys in it. I used both, if I had needed another, I would have had to use tape. This was probably the biggest injury scare I've had in the dirt and enough to push me to be better prepared and invest some money into a better kit. I recommend you do the same!!!

hxckidd

Clean-Dezert.org
Feb 14, 2002
so cal
www.clean-dezert.org
Looks like a neat area... Man i would be freaked out if my kid had a cut that bad... not looking forward to that happening. lol I do carry a first aid kit that came out of my race truck... probably need to get a new one as i am assuming it has expired stuff. Did yours not come with a big gauze roll?

Travisfab

Staff member
Aug 21, 2003
San Diego
No, it didnt have a big gauze roll. 2 butterflys, a big band aid, and flexible tape held it all together. My kid is so damn tough it's un real. I think I am going to have him wear pants on trips like this in the future.

Reactions: hxckidd

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
Kids needing stitches sucks. My son has had it twice now. One when he was maybe 2 or 3 right above his right eye and then again at about 5 on the bottom of his chin. I just got the first aid kit updated items on Saturday to restock. Taking the old stuff out and adding more of the gauze and bandages and stuff.

I am interested in this run. Did a quick search and came up with this. DOes this look correct?

https://www.mapmyride.com/us/borrego-springs-ca/banner-grade-route-71970732

Travisfab

Staff member
Aug 21, 2003
San Diego
What is marked out there is all asphalt. Trail head is at 33.06756, -116.54765 I took oriflame canyon trail to the bottom. I researched and found the alternate route (Rodriguez Spur Trail) to be a little too challenging and slow moving for me.

Travisfab

Staff member
Aug 21, 2003
San Diego
I originally drew the pink trail and then found out about how gnarly it was. I recommend the green trail. If you are going up the trail, I would not do either in a 2wd truck. You still need to start & end on the pink trail)

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
Perfect. Thank you. Interested in trying it on our Dual Sport Husqvarnas. Then if we like we can take the 4runner. Locked front and rear.

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
Ohh, love new trails. Have to find this one, thanks for sharing. You don't think a linked 2wd ranger with spool and 35's would make it? (or only going down, not up?)

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds