Beamed and Linked Ranger Spring Rates

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

AustinG1776

Dec 29, 2017
Hey guys, I have a 1994 Ford Ranger with Camburg unequal length beams, and a 4-Link rear. I'm not sure how much the truck weighs but I've got Sway-A-Way coilovers and triple bypasses on all four corners. The truck rides fairly smooth but far from what it should be. I have a 32 gallon fuel cell mounted behind the rear axle and a spare above that. I'm moving up to 37s from 35s and want to get this truck dialed. The rear feels too stiff with 1200.300.0250 over 1600.300.0500. Not super confident with the front either with 1400.250.0300 over 1400.250.0400 What spring rates are you guys running? I plan on either having the shocks rebuilt and tuned professionally or doing it myself.

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
Man, that is a HUGE jump in rear when you cross over to second rate.

valving is what makes it feel stiff... not really spring rate.

Do it yourself and have fun with it. Super simple and you will learn.

Reactions: AustinG1776

AustinG1776

Dec 29, 2017
Man, that is a HUGE jump in rear when you cross over to second rate.

valving is what makes it feel stiff... not really spring rate.

Do it yourself and have fun with it. Super simple and you will learn.
Thanks for the info! I figured I should just try the tuning myself. It's a good opportunity to learn so I'm not paying $1,200 every time I want the shocks tuned and whatnot.

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Fullerton, CA
Ive was taught that spring rate holds the truck up, thats it. want to change ride height? change out springs for different rate. You can also adjust preload, as that is essentially a "fine tune" for spring rate. your valving and bypass adjustments controls the "smoothness" of the ride. Yes, this is an oversimplification, but a great place to start. That being said, like stated above, the crossover rate jump is waaayyy to drastic and possibly giving you the "stiff" feeling.

When sitting at ride height, are you sitting on your crossovers?

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds