Bleed shims on Fox 2.5

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

dbatman

Apr 3, 2021
hemet ca
Decided to fix / adjust valving on my 2.5 shocks. Took them apart and all had about 3/4 full of oil and the IFP's was jammed down into bottom of the reservoir . Got pistons unstuck , looked at valving and wrote down what was there , Filled with new oil and re-assembled with150 psi. No change in the ride quality.

Decided to wing it and change out all valve stacks to std. fox sets. 45/45 front - 50/50 rear. Finally felt the rear actually moving up and down . Front felt pretty good , no huge bottoming hits but beat to death on stutter bumps. Overall was markedly better than it was.

So I think that due to the way the shocks are mounted at an angle - it takes a fair amount of force to get them to move, hence the paint shaker ride.
Next up is to add bleed shims to fronts. The shims I have were part of the original valving and were placed mid way up the stacks on both compression and rebound. Multiple shims per stacks.

Will place the bleeds right on top of the pistons - compression side. Thinking that this will allow minimal resistance to get shock moving and shim stacks take over from there once oil is moving quicker.

Am I full of it ? Never did a revalve before but it is not really all that hard to do. I just do not have the knowledge to know how much of a change going from one stack to another makes.

Comments and barbs are all accepted.

Thank you'

dbatman

Apr 3, 2021
hemet ca
Best estimate for rebound stacks ? I like the 45 compression stack on front. Rear I may go to a 55 or 60 stack. Is there a general formula for how much difference in stacks there should be ?

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Boringsville
No formula, too many variables.

Ok, in order for those to work they need to be the face shim. I have seen that type in lower end motorcycle stuff. On most everything else off-road the are bleed holes drilled in the pistons. Higher end MC stuff has hollow shafts with an adjustable oriface.

Without either of those methods, tuning your low speed damping for comfort is going to be a bitch.

bullnerd

Feb 1, 2008
If I had one of those Yamis I'd go right to Johnny Greaves and ask what to do.

I think he has them figured out, But I'm only going by what i've seen, never looked into it.

Actually, that might be a bit extreme for just cruising around. Weller racing AZ does a tuning package xyzs pretty cheap.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikey09120

dbatman

Apr 3, 2021
hemet ca
Thanks for all the comments. I went through all of the leftover shims that I have and am going to do
Front - 45 Comp / 30 Reb plus change face shim to the biggest bleed shim.
Rear - 50 Comp / 35 Reb.
As I said before - I have no knowledge of how much each stack change does for me. Trial and error for me at this point.
Was reading that bleed shims are pretty close to bleed holes in operation . And a few comments that bleed is a "cure" for the roughness that I am feeling.

Here in Hemet we have Indian Truck Trail that is 15 minutes from me . Good place to try out how the changes work.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds