brake caliper mount -direction/height

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

GLTTRPN

Nov 21, 2005
Hemet
I have never seen this question asked before if you guys could help that would be great.

When building a new spindle and attaching the brake caliper mount what is the correct direction(angle) or height or infront or behind the center of the hub? Like if you mount the caliper at 9 oclock or 7 or 11 aclock. What are your guys thoughts on the issue? pro/cons

85yota

TT Motorsports
Nov 18, 2004
Phoenix, AZ
I mounted mine as high up as possible, to still have the bleeder on top and to make sure it'll clear everything. But I mounted mine at like a little above straight back to help avoid some rocks hitting them.

GLTTRPN

Nov 21, 2005
Hemet
Would I assume that the caliper would always be toward the rear and up? What would someone do with a rear steer spindle? And does the position change on the axle of the car? I've never seen the caliper mounted forward on the axle mount. I'm just trying to figure out what is wrong and right then move to what is the best positioning.

85yota

TT Motorsports
Nov 18, 2004
Phoenix, AZ
most mount on the backside of the axle or spindle to avoid objects hitting it, on rear-steer stuff the calipers are mounted on the front side. here's a pic of my caliper mounts.

itwassweet

Mega Member
Jul 19, 2007
yorba linda....
like said above... in the rear is ideal to keep it from getting hit and what not. but with rear steer applications, its got to go in the front. i want to say MOST vehicles are front steer so, in the rear is the only spot....

now ive always wondered about the actual rear break system, some are in front, some arent... why ?? but thats that

craigg

Nov 21, 2008
Bellevue WA/ Hesperia CA
The idea of caliper mounting in fornt/behind the axle centerline is mainly for helping to center vehicle weight. If you look at a sports car, the calipers on the front axle are mounted behind centerline, and rear is vice versa. But for bigger cars/trucks where precise handling isnt as big of a deal, they're mounted more for ease of fitting with suspension parts. Just make sure the bleeder is as close to verticle as possible and everything should be all good.

jonsangel

Apr 13, 2009
Los Angeles
Couldn't find the answer in a search and didn't want to start a new thread....

I'm getting ready to mount my calipers to my spindle. Do I just try and shim the same amount on each side between the disk and the pad to center it?

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds