Bronco Sin Nombre!

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Fullerton, CA
Hahaha I never said I was going to it. But it does take more than just wire and a breaker. I’ve got at least 80ft of conduit to bend and mount, figure out where to bring it into the garage, blah blah blah. This is something I’m not going to half ass for sure. That’s why I said it’s not happening sooner than welding up these arms/beams. I can take them to a shop or weld them at my neighbors who’s already wired. No big deal.

What has me torn is my father in law was almost offended when I brought it up to him... I trust him, he knows his stuff and has many years under a welding hood. This specific welder was bought for a job which required to weld 1/4 to 5/8 went through multiple tests and passed with flying colors. Not sure if that lies dependent on the operator. But he’s telling me to run it. Even after I reminded him his daughter and grandson are riding in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bertismyname

Bertismyname

Oct 1, 2018
San Diego
I'm an electrician. I get that it takes more than wire and a breaker. Without seeing your place to see what it entails it's just talk. I was just responding to the post that was saying to temp it in.

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Fullerton, CA
I'm an electrician. I get that it takes more than wire and a breaker. Without seeing your place to see what it entails it's just talk. I was just responding to the post that was saying to temp it in.
well if you're ever in the Fullerton area, stop on by for a beer and a consultation! haha

mjlogan

space cadet
Feb 9, 2007
ontario ca
If you have an 80' run then yea you gotta bite the bullet and do it right. My comment was more aimed at if the panel was relatively close to your fab area.

Grab a couple pieces of .188 plate and see how that 130 does. You'll know right away if it has what it takes. With some beveling and preheat it might do ok.

Bertismyname

Oct 1, 2018
San Diego
I'm in San Diego unfortunately. You could always mount a disconnect near the panel and run a number 6 cord with an outlet. Then you can weld anywhere within the reach of the cord.

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Fullerton, CA
Alright ran these beads real quick after work tonight. .188 hot rolled, old scrap, no prep.

Did a little destruction test with a clamp and BFC to bend the vertical plate. Results were inconclusive since it just snapped wherever the end of the wrench was... makes sense as that’s where the most pressure is. I slid it down against the weld and it broke the plate along the edge of the weld, maybe that’s a plus?

Let’s hear it boys, don’t hold back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Fullerton, CA
Yea.. too cold looking. It's piling up.

Is that 110V?
yessir, that was the reason for the test. if you read back a few posts you can catch up on the conversation. Im gonna try again with a little less feed and slow down and on cleaner material to see what changes. The machine calls for 24 feed for 1/8, most of that test was on 20, and a little lower. Going to drop to 15 and slow down, which is probably my biggest problem in general. At this point I'm thinking even if my father-in-law can push this machine past its limits, doesn't mean I can. And the best course of action is to weld it with a hotter machine.

Reactions: smokeysevin

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds