This weekend my wife went out of town to be a counselor at a summer camp for Cancer Patients and their families. So that meant, its go time on the bronco!
Friday night after the kiddo went to sleep I grabbed a beer from the fridge and got to work. I first cleaned out all the parts that had accumulated inside, mainly so i can crawl back to the rear window in an attempt to fix it. It had stopped working after all the rains we got earlier this year (not to mention the leak from the back window being crack .250 inches that resulted in the rear carpet being cut and thrown away...) First i used my ryobi battery to power the window motor directly, then opened the tailgate to assess the situation. Turns out the safety switch was getting stuck in the open position. Tried to get the plug out to just jump the wires but the bitch wouldn't budge. Plan b was to soak all the parts with WD-40 and hope for the best. It seems to be holding up so ill run it till it DNFs again. After that I replaced the rear speakers with matching Kenwoods, pulled the factory seatbelts, and put the rear plastics back together. Called it a night here, with a few more beers of course.
Saturday I was taking a drive down the coast with my boy and noticed the rear of my truck was bouncing around a bit... decided to stop at Cho's to pick up some weight to help calm it down.
That should do the trick!
Had a couple buddies come over to help paint it and get it installed, and babysit the kiddo. We wiped down the cage and started to spray, and it was about this time i got a call from my wife telling me she was on her way home... So we kicked it into high gear (which probably lowered the quality of the paint job..) and got it painted and in the bronco in less than 2 hours.
I gotta say, this thing is bad ass! I wasn't planning on getting it now, but couldn't pass up the deal. This is a piece of art that fits PERFECTLY. Slid right in without contest, yet still tucks quite nicely for being built on a jig. Still need to drill the floor and bolt it in but Im hoping I can do a little of that after work today. I also need to track down my hardware for my harnesses and finish installing those, as well as come up with a plan for the rear. Im thinking of doing car seat in the center and harnesses on each side, but if the car seat is wider than i think, it might just be car seat one one side, harness on the other. I did throw my neighbors booster on the stock bench, but unfortunately it won't work. Had i planned ahead I would have asked Cho to bend the harness bar forward a few inches to have better clearance. But Ill probably just run an aftermarket bench with booster (if it sits lower) or 2 buckets (one being a jr/booster seat) instead now.
I was planning on getting much more done but that will have to be for another time.
Last night I was able to finish installing the cage. Started with the front, then moved to the back
Needed to borrow an angle drill to get the last two holes drilled but all and all pretty easy.
In the rear I had to pull the cage a smidge over to the passenger side. Easily done with a tie down. Then drilled the holes.
I also installed the rear trim piece. The previous owner used some tek screws and adel clamps to hold up some wiring. Screws when right under the rear trim propping it up. So I cut off the extra length and cleaned it up. Still need to trim the plastic around the cage feet. But I also plan to install sound deadener and vinyl floor back there, so I will tackle it then.
Then I installed the drivers shoulder straps. Then had a celebratory sit. Was awesome to finally strap in.
For the passenger, I’m going to need to switch to clip in shoulder straps so I can disconnect them to tilt the seat forward. Probably going to go with some Armada Eyelets and get them TIG welded on.
Lastly i cut the carpet to fit around the cage and called it a night.
Ohhcho is working in a front section for the cage, which I will be getting. As well as doubler plates to kick to the frame.
Super stoked to get this done. Didn’t want to spend the money right now, but having it is a huge weight off my shoulders. Now I just need to finish dialing in the interior and figure out storage.
Threw the seat in the bronco to make sure it fits.
It’s tight but it’ll do! Still gotta make the mount so it will sit up a little higher but should still have plenty of clearance. Only thing I’m bummed about is the side seats are narrower than the middle. Like my ass doesn’t fit narrow lol. But I won’t be back there at all. I can move the booster to the side but I prefer little man in the middle. I guess I could always move it if an adult is riding back there. My wife fits in the side seats so she can ride back there.
I also started to have issues with the rear window again. If you gently close the tailgate so it clicks once, window works. Push it all the way closed, doesn’t work. So I ripped out the stupid safety switch and made a jumper. No the window ALWAYS works! Just gotta remember to “don’t be stupid, stupid”
And lastly... I got the radius arms welded up! Had a buddy knock em’ out for me. Super stoked. Gonna hopefully get them on the truck tonight to figure out shock placement for the beams and then he’s gonna weld those up too. Slowly but surely it’s coming together.
couldn't pull enough slack on the wire to do it nicely. and the heat/sun blazing on me wasn't doing any favors. the spades clipped in and won't be coming out. wire itself failing is another story. will tackle it when we get some cooler weather.