Bronco Sin Nombre!

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Fullerton, CA
what's your rivet removal method? doesn't look like you scarred up the frame too much like I usually end up doing...
1. Cut an x into the head with a cut wheel as far as you can get without scaring the frame or bracket.

2. Air chisel the (now 4 pieces) head off. I usually do it one corner at a time.

4. Using the punch on the air hammer to push the rivet through the frame.

Didn’t use this method until I did the rear of the bronco. The old way was fast. This way is much faster! I made the switch cause I couldn’t hammer the bastard out of the frame. So I bought the husky dampened air hammer to push them through. Then used the method above on the other side since I had the tool and was surprised how much faster and cleaner it was.

1. Make sure you get the dampened air hammer.

2. Wear ear pro, with music is a plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drayke

Always Baja Bound
Jan 29, 2007
Torrance
i'm an idiot, that sounds great.
I use a plasma torch to get the heads off and then use the air hammer. makes a mess, i sweat a ton and 50/50 on whether or not I scar the frame a little bit but it's stinkin' fast.

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Fullerton, CA
i'm an idiot, that sounds great.
I use a plasma torch to get the heads off and then use the air hammer. makes a mess, i sweat a ton and 50/50 on whether or not I scar the frame a little bit but it's stinkin' fast.
I was gunna try that route but didn’t due to setup time of dragging the plasma out to the bronco. Glad I didnt try it hahaha.

The part that takes the most time is chiseling the head off. The key is to cut the x all the way through. If it’s a bracket that’s getting tossed I’ll cut enough through to where it scars the bracket. If I’m keeping it, I’ll kiss it then smooth it out with the grinder. One river took much longer than the others cause I didn’t cut deep enough. It was the frame so I didn’t want to kiss it this time. Though it just got covered up by the bracket/hardware.

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Fullerton, CA
Took the shock bodies to my FIA’s shop to sand blast them. Was going to shoot em with steel-it but he told me he was dropping stuff off for gunmetal grey. Figured that’s close enough so had him throw them in the batch. I could have had them do anything. They suggested candy blue, but it wouldn’t match. All free.

Just got this pic from my FIA...

Definitely not my first choice, but the bright side, they won’t look messed up for a while.

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Fullerton, CA
Ok couldn’t wait.

Powdercoat is too thick on the driver side though so I couldn’t get it on quickly. Will take care of that tomorrow and hopefully get the springs on.

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Fullerton, CA
Got the other shackle on. Then proceeded to install the springs.

Then realized I’m missing the hardware to do the other side, doh! Kind of on me though cause they asked if I was missing any hardware when I stopped by yesterday. Oh well, hopefully going to go to McFadden today to get it and some o-rings for the shocks.

Reactions: Turboyota

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Fullerton, CA
nice... getting closer!
Baby steps for sure. Literally getting like an hour a day, 3 days a week... wife and kid are heading to the river a few days earlier than I am in a couple weeks. Planning to spend all my time on the bronco those days.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds