BroRunner

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

Blood Eagle

OG Member
May 30, 2006
Ventura, CA.
Keep getting this thing where my idle likes to go be normal then drop down to about 500rpm, then I adjust it and it’s fine then it’ll pop up to 1200 or so, not sure what that’s about but I’m gonna order a bunch of stuff from LCE to freshen up the breathers and vac lines, also clean the intake and add a delrin tb gasket to make cleaning easier in the future, I’m tired of cutting a new gasket every time I remove it to clean it. That pic is of me adjusting my idle with a pair of safety glasses because I didn’t have any tools because we drive Toyotas.
There is a couple of coolant lines that runs into the IAC part under the throttle body. If these lines gets clogged it doesn't let hot coolant into the IAC and then keeps the IAC engaged when the engine is at normal operating temp and doesn't need the IAC/fast idle as it does when it's cold. Remove those lines and blow compressed air through them to eliminate any clogging. Then adjust the idle hot. If this doesn't work and the IAC is bad you can put a piece of aluminum tape over the hole in the throttle body that would allow the extra air from the IAC to enter the intake. Or it's a sign it's low on coolant but I'm sure you already checked that.

Reactions: Horunner

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
There is a couple of coolant lines that runs into the IAC part under the throttle body. If these lines gets clogged it doesn't let hot coolant into the IAC and then keeps the IAC engaged when the engine is at normal operating temp and doesn't need the IAC/fast idle as it does when it's cold. Remove those lines and blow compressed air through them to eliminate any clogging. Then adjust the idle hot. If this doesn't work and the IAC is bad you can put a piece of aluminum tape over the hole in the throttle body that would allow the extra air from the IAC to enter the intake. Or it's a sign it's low on coolant but I'm sure you already checked that.
holy fucking shit, you ventured outside the dailys!!

do the TPS's on the 22re need adjustment every time you adjust the idle or do they have a large area for idle?

Blood Eagle

OG Member
May 30, 2006
Ventura, CA.
holy fucking shit, you ventured outside the dailys!!

do the TPS's on the 22re need adjustment every time you adjust the idle or do they have a large area for idle?
No need to mess with the TPS but if you have to keep messing with the idle and it fluctuates, it's likely unmetered air that isn't supposed to be there with the exception of when it's cold and the cold start injector and IAC are active.

Horunner

Aug 10, 2014
Yucaipa
@Blood Eagle Pretty sure it’s an intermittent vac leak or something. My lines from the VC to the intake are pretty shitty. I’ve checked the coolant and the lines to the IACV, they’re good, it’s not that, it’s just randomly the idle will drop and then it’ll kick back up. Here’s another part, usually does it after a long stint of driving on the freeway without interruption. Like I hit the off ramp and once I come to a stop it’ll drop. Not always but that’s usually when it happens.

Last edited:

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
@Blood Eagle Pretty sure it’s an intermittent vac leak or something. My lines from the VC to the intake are pretty shitty. I’ve checked the coolant and the lines to the IACV, they’re good, it’s not that, it’s just randomly the idle will drop and then it’ll kick back up. Here’s another part, usually does it after a long stint of driving on the freeway without interruption. Like I hit the off ramp and once I come to a stop it’ll drop. Not always but that’s usually when it happens.
Cleaned your intake? Throttle plate sticks a little open if it is gunked up. I have also seen the throttle pivot wear out and start sticking a little

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds