BroRunner

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

Horunner

Aug 10, 2014
Yucaipa
Cleaned your intake? Throttle plate sticks a little open if it is gunked up. I have also seen the throttle pivot wear out and start sticking a little
I placed an order with LCE for stuff to freshen up the intake and vac lines, just waiting for it to get here/time to do it.

Horunner

Aug 10, 2014
Yucaipa
So this weekend I wanted to take the rear end apart a bit and check stuff out, start looking at how I’m gonna be able to mount the 3.0s I got off turbo under there. So it’s not gonna happen until I make the upper link to ditch the panhard bar or swap to leafs and neither of those are going to happen anytime soon so instead I did a bunch of measuring and just redid the upper mounts for the 2.0s to mount outside the frame while still using the super beefy stock lower mounts. Gained a bit of up travel doing this. Went out and hit it pretty hard in the hills of calimesa, did real well and I didn’t use the whole stroke of the rear shock so that’s good, usually I would hit the shaft bumps constantly with how I had them mounted.

Peep the bunjee brake line retention system.
I came home and did an alignment on the front end because when I was driving back I noticed it pulling a bit to the left, probably knocked the alignment out a little when I hit a nice washout. Got that done and went for a test drive, shit was titties except for the steering wheel being a tiny bit off center, but not all titties are perfectly symmetrical, right?

Smashed around the hills by my house, watched a bunch of people try to get a dgafbrochevy unstuck when he caught his sweet drop tow hitch while trying to go up a dirt pile, played on the roller jump for a while and then went home. Not a huge update but I’m glad I did it cause it performs way better now. Also fuck wind, once again half my welds look decent and the other half look shitty because I had to grind out porosity and re-weld. Time for a coors.

Time spent: 3 hours Friday, 9 today
Music: Power Trip, George Strait, Misfits
Beers consumed: 1 natural light at turboyotas
Fucks yelled: ~10 due to wind/general rage
Tools spiked into the driveway: several
Dogs bellies rubbed: 2
Redbulls consumed: 3
Sneezes due to allergies from wind: too many

Last edited:

Horunner

Aug 10, 2014
Yucaipa
Turboyota bent this up for me last week. I ordered some tube coupler doohickeys off eGay and burned it all together.
Could only get about 270° Around on the passenger side hoop cause it’s close to the intake manifold. Same with the driver for tonight, gotta pull the steer shaft to get to the backside. Should help me not break a hoop off again.
5249A0D5-644E-4554-8D64-122F6914425A.jpeg
3CA43459-72E2-4784-91EC-F40098BA4ABB.jpeg

the bodj

1st post pg805
Mar 4, 2010
Moorpark
Could only get about 270° Around on the passenger side hoop cause it’s close to the intake manifold. Same with the driver for tonight, gotta pull the steer shaft to get to the backside.
Screw pulling it apart to get 1/4" of weld. I've found it's more important to have three contact points on each shock hoop, all touching on a different plane. Basically make it as much of a pyramid as you can. And then have the cross brace. Every single one I've seen broken only has 2 contact points per side.

Aside from that, looks great!

Horunner

Aug 10, 2014
Yucaipa
Screw pulling it apart to get 1/4" of weld. I've found it's more important to have three contact points on each shock hoop, all touching on a different plane. Basically make it as much of a pyramid as you can. And then have the cross brace. Every single one I've seen broken only has 2 contact points per side.

Aside from that, looks great!
Yeah I’m gonna have to get creative and make something similar to what TC does with the tabs to the cross shaft from the shock tabs. I’m gonna go copy the ones turboyota has before he burns them in on the 4skinner he’s building. Will need massaging to work with my tabs but should work fine. There’s not really another way to get a 3rd contact point with torsion bars and my bumps mounted how they are. He was saying like a 1” tube from the hoop down between the arms but then I wouldn’t be able to upper arm off. I could put the fox bumps out back and use lo pro urethane bumps off the front of the arm to add a tube that terminates right behind the arm to the frame. Not sure, I’d have to try. The fox bumps are nice but I have enough travel up front now that I don’t hit full bump out front unless I really am hitting it hard. I guess strength is overall much more important. Maybe I can get new cans and put the tube behind the can and push it out on the arm a bit more? Haven’t thought of that but might work if I use a small enough tube behind there.

Reactions: ucd baja

Horunner

Aug 10, 2014
Yucaipa
Also for all you 22r based motor guys, an old dipstick can cause you problems, low oil pressure and an intermittent shitty idle because it causes a vacuum leak. I had no idea and have had a random goofy idle for years. Replaced my dipstick last week and have had way better oil pressure and haven’t had the goofy idle once this week. Just something to keep in mind. No idea if that goes for any other motors, but I’ve never thought a dipstick could cause a problem haha

Reactions: the bodj

Horunner

Aug 10, 2014
Yucaipa
Went and did a little trip today.
Pioneer town to big bear then looped around the backside and went through Holcomb valley. Buncha jeep dudes blasting mud puddles trying to get dirty, when we were driving as slow as possible to not absolutely plaster our trucks, didn’t work too well.
F2432A6B-D865-4E5C-9B9D-EA32FADF2282.jpeg
02B2DC14-2911-44D5-BE3F-C30DB3AE9BC7.jpeg

Last edited:

desert_steve

Oct 21, 2007
phelan, ca
*Story Time*
I had the OG TC kit (unibll caddy kit I think is what it was called?) on the front of my 4runner and I was running their hoops to go with it... they included a piece of 1" tube that was supposed to go behind or near the shock tabs and land on top of the frame. After seeing my dads friends T100 land it on top of the frame and make it to where youd have to pull the cross shaft out of the arm to get the upper arm off, I really wasnt a fan of doing it like that. I ended up having a friend with a bender put a little bend in the tube so I could fit it between the hoop and steering shaft (it came almost straight down from the hoop and then went under the steering shaft) and land it right where the motor mount and the frame met, giving me juuuuust enough room for the cross shaft to sit in there. Not sure how much strength it gave it, but Im sure it was better than having nothing at all.

Horunner

Aug 10, 2014
Yucaipa
*Story Time*
I had the OG TC kit (unibll caddy kit I think is what it was called?) on the front of my 4runner and I was running their hoops to go with it... they included a piece of 1" tube that was supposed to go behind or near the shock tabs and land on top of the frame. After seeing my dads friends T100 land it on top of the frame and make it to where youd have to pull the cross shaft out of the arm to get the upper arm off, I really wasnt a fan of doing it like that. I ended up having a friend with a bender put a little bend in the tube so I could fit it between the hoop and steering shaft (it came almost straight down from the hoop and then went under the steering shaft) and land it right where the motor mount and the frame met, giving me juuuuust enough room for the cross shaft to sit in there. Not sure how much strength it gave it, but Im sure it was better than having nothing at all.
I’d do one to the top of the frame but I run torsion bars so that gets in the way

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds