BUDGET ford 9 disc brake conversion

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

blackmomba

Nov 19, 2010
buckeye
now that i have my ford 9" obviously im going to ditch the drums, was told o can use stock dodge parts and other stuff to convert it to disc and have everything at auto parts stores. has anyone done this or have a list on the stuff they bought im fully aware they make kits but wanna look into the budget way first

marcytech

Mega Member
Mar 16, 2011
ruff stuff makes brackets that work with gm metric calipers off the front of a 80s gm1500. the calipers are about 30 bucks from napa, brackets are 50 and you use bronco front rotors.

Reactions: blackmomba

Jester9

The Jester's Workshop
Apr 1, 2014
Central Texas
Not sure if you are interested/ or need a parking brake (bullshit stuff I have to think about to pass inspection out here) but you can pull the backing plate/disc assembly off 90s explorers and bolt them up with slight modification

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

themoneypit

Jul 30, 2018
Missouri

Shows the general install process for the Explorer 8.8 brakes on a 9 inch. If you've got the Torino/late big bearing housing ends and the right axle face to bearing seat measurement, it's dirt cheap and easy with junkyard parts and re-drilled rotors.

Not worth it if you have to buy new axles to make them work though. Weld-on GM caliper brackets for sure at that point.

Reactions: blackmomba

blackmomba

Nov 19, 2010
buckeye
thanks for the info guys, got those brackets from ruff stuff ordered up and ill get those calipers today. really appreciate the info..

double-d

Jun 9, 2005
escondido
thanks for the info guys, got those brackets from ruff stuff ordered up and ill get those calipers today. really appreciate the info..
A couple tips:

Double check and make sure the calipers have room to float on the pins before you weld on the caliper bracket. Mock up everything, pads, rotors, etc. I did all that and still had a brake dragging problem. I ended up having to belt sand the brake pads down to allow the caliper to float.

Also, these brakes work very well. I would say a proportioning valve is pretty much mandatory to dial out rear braking. Without it, I had problems with the rear tires locking up first and wanted to spin around on me.

Afta all that, they have been great for at least 6yrs now

85yota

TT Motorsports
Nov 18, 2004
Santa Maria, CA
www.tt-motorsports.com
Also the 80's chevy calipers those brackets are made for are a metric 10MM banjo bolt and the same caliper from the 70's is a 3/8" Banjo bolt. Same size hole for brake lines but heads up you'll need banjo bolts for them as well.

Last thing I did when I used their brackets on a 9in is I cut a notch in the bottom edge so you can install/remove the t-bolts that hold the axle/bearing in just incase if gets buggered up.

blackmomba

Nov 19, 2010
buckeye
i thought i was getting the calipers that day but didn't, the daily needed new brakes and rotors and hub bearings first lol but thank you for that info, i have a buddy who has this set up on his truck now so i can pretty much mimic his set up..

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds