building a 9", my pile of parts needs your opinion

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

Drayke

Always Baja Bound
Jan 29, 2007
Torrance
it's not just horsepower that causes axle failures. It's the shock loading from whoops, jumping, etc.
BTW, a twisted spline is still a failure behind that small block chevy, even if it wasn't "catastrophic" yet.

I agree with Marcy that 31 spline should be the minimum for you.

sirhk100

Racer
Feb 24, 2003
Las Vegas
What he said above, it's not necessarily just the motor torque on the shafts but the load from what the tires do when hitting the ground on and off under power in simple terms puts some strain on the shafts. And do you really think this is the end? Like nothing you do is ever going to make the truck faster and more abusive to the shafts over time? Build it with some safety margin on strength in mind.

bradbury

Jun 25, 2008
Riverside
My set up is just like Marcy. Extra cab ranger 4.0 with links on 35s. I run the currie basic 9'' with their stronger 31 spine axles and a locker. So far so good. My truck is street driven often and no issues with the locker but is a must have once you hit the dirt.

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Easton, KS
31 spline quality axles will be fine. Going 35 spline will require a new center section.

Solid spacer yes.

Ratcheting locker meh.

Truetrac yes.

Axle truss that is as tall as the tubes. JD Fab, rough stuff......

Load bolt.

The reason your stock axles are failing is they were made wrong. A good set of axles like Mark Williams will be necked down so that the axle is smaller than the splines. This will let the whole axle twist evenly instead of right at the end of the splines.

Reactions: mikey09120

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
Buddy snapped a 9 inch axle behind a stock 22re with 32's. So it is not only Horsepower that breaks axles.

Reactions: mikey09120

mikey09120

Michael Gonzalez
Dec 5, 2009
Santa Barbara, CA
www.facebook.com
Load bolts aren't really meant for anything more than short drag strip runs IIRC.
Not great for prolonged use as the tips wear.

But yes. +1 on HP not bring the breaker.

22re on 35's exploded a 31spline 9inch third member.

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Easton, KS
Twisty axles fix many problems.

Every 9 & 10" I have worked on has had a load bolts. Under normal street driving you should not be hitting it so no wear. Even when it needs an adjustment, it will take you longer to crawl under the truck than it will to adjust it.

The Barge ran stock 31 spline axles for years without issue. I did however chuck them up in the lathe and turn them down to the proper diameter.

Reactions: A.J.

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds