Buyer Beware: Olympus Off Road

camodown

Mar 13, 2009
I purchased 2 30" single row LED light bars from a company called Olympus Off Road. Company based out of Colorado but their lights come out of China. They seemed like they had a middle of the road product that wasn't as high as Rigid or Baja but better quality than the cheap bars running around. They also had a lifetime warranty which seemed good. Now the story & I will include the actual email conversations that has been going on so they don't come in and say I was making things up. Emails are in the smaller font.
Purchased the lights on Mar 23. I receive the lights in a timely manner but never received any type of tracking number or email that says the item has shipped, but it showed up quickly. I think around a week or so.
On Apr 10th I started trying to install but didn't think they were going to work so I emailed Daniel (the owner of the business)
Daniel,
I took out one of my 30" lights and it is just a little too wide for where I'm mounting it. The light length is fine but the added length with the mounting brackets and power cord makes it too long. Can I return these & get 2 20" flatline lights instead? I tried calling but no answer, so feel fee to call me.
Thanks,
Casey

No response but I trimmed more, got them to work good enough and emailed him the next day that never mind I will use the 30" lights.
I mount the bar on the truck on Apr 12th. Didn't really drive much for a few days. Then drove around a couple days & I noticed when walking in front of my truck there was green fluid inside the light. Then I saw stress fractures between some of the set screws like they were over tightened. So when I got home I called. Daniel did call me right back after no answer & I told him the light had green liquid in it & stress fractures. He told me to send him pictures. So I took a couple of pictures then took the light off. After I took the grill off I could see where a rock had went into my condenser & leaked fluid on top of the light. So that explained the fluid but I needed new lenses. Here is the pics I sent with the title "Lens Cracks" on 4/16
This is two different spots in the light on opposite ends.

It was a holiday weekend so I let a few days go by then emailed.
4/22 @ 10:23AM
What is the status? Did you get my pictures I sent. They would of came thru as my other email.
4/30 Time is wrong but it was that morning
A response would be nice on if anything is happening since no one answers the phone and the mailbox is full.
4/30 @ 10:54AM Daniel Responds
Whats going on? What can we help you with?
I thought you said the fluid on the light was in fact radiator fluid.
-Daniel

4/30 @ 10:57AM
It was but the lense cracked out at almost every set of screws. That's what I sent pictures of a week and a half ago.
Then nothing even though I responded in 3 minutes so I sent this that night
4/30 @ 8:10 PM
???, I'm really trying to not get annoyed here but I need some type of communication that it is being taken care of, lenses are being shipped, something. I don't want to wait another 2 weeks with no response.
5/1 again the time it wrong on my email but it was in the afternoon
Once again no response to my emails and no answer with the mailbox being full. Am I stuck with a busted light or are you guys going to fix it and send the replacement lenses? I've tried to let you take care of this without giving a bad review of your company but if I don't hear anything again I guess I'll go public with my experience. That sucks too cause I thought maybe you guys would be a good alternative to the high priced led bars out there.
Daniel responds
5/1 @ 4:29PM
Casey,
I told you personally on the phone that we would take care of you and we will. I tried to call you this morning but got no answer and was going to try again this evening.
Ive personally talked to you on the phone and worked with you to resolve this and gave you my word it would be handled. There was a miscommunication on my part when we first talked.
I thought you said that the light did not have issues other then the green fluid on it ( radiator fluid ) and later was cleared up. Please understand that we are very busy here and I am currently
in Spain in meetings so if my personal response is a little slow I am sorry but mark my word... you will be taken care of.
-Daniel

5/1 I respond
I have not missed any calls & I have no voicemails but either way, ok. Also realize I have not received any confirmation that anything is going to be taken care of until now. When we spoke you asked for pictures & you could either send new lenses or i could send the light back if I didn't feel comfortable fixing it. Pics were sent that day 4/16 and were titled "Lens Cracks" with no response. I sent a follow up email again on 4/22 with no response. Send another on 4/30 and get your "what's wrong" reply, tell you & no response, send another after waiting 10 hours that day, no response again. Now here we are at 5/1 and I finally get your word it will be taking care of after having to act like an *******. I don't want to act like an ******* but all I needed was "I will take care of it or I'm out of the country right now but I'll have someone else take care of it or I'll take care of it when I get back." Just something instead of feeling like I get the cold shoulder every time I mention cracks.
But I will put that behind me and at your earliest convenience please let me know when I can receive the lenses & also include the correct inch pounds the bolts need to be torqued.
Just from one business owner to another, communication is key to your customers cause your customers are your livelihood.

5/1 Daniel responds
I gave this to my previous office manager Travis to handle but like most of what he did.... nothing.... ugh... I cannot handle everything myself as we are a large company all ove the world now and I just wish people could do what they are paid for.... Either way like I said we will make sure you are taken care of.
Daniel

5/20
Any update on when I can expect some lenses?
5/21 Daniel responds
We will be in touch. We are having a logistics issue in moving parts from our location overseas.
We will get you taken care of as soon as this is cleared up.
-Daniel

6/12
It has almost been 2 months since I sent the pics. Let's get me some lenses or I want to send the lights back. I'm tired of looking at my 30" paper weight.
6/27
If I put the light back on the truck and it gets ruined because water gets in there will you send me a complete new light?
6/27 Daniel responds
Casey,
I have been out a for a few weeks due to a bad accident.... I will look into this right away and find out what is going on... I told my shipping manger to send this a long time ago...
You just need one of the 10" strips if I am not mistaken correct?
-Daniel

6/27 I respond
All 3 are cracked
8/1
I called & talked to a guy named Sam I believe & told him the story, he said he would get it straightened out & talk to Daniel.....
8/15 My last email before I started this
I'm done waiting. I talked to Sam I believe it was on August 1st and nothing once again. I'm going to let people know my experience.
I took these on May 1st & just the light sitting on my shelf it developed more cracks

On July 3rd I put the light back on & used the extra plastic covers they give you if you want extra protection I guess. Then after 2-3 days of driving around the light quite working. I opened it up & noticed the ground on the light came apart. So I soldered it again.

That's my story so far, so just be cautious because the customer service has been horrible. My other 30" bar has worked great & I bought rock lights from them & they have worked great. Damn that was a lot.

TRDtundra

Apr 28, 2012
Glendora
I get my lights from ebay. Thing with ebay is they are super anal with feedback. What I do is search for the light I want for instance (22" cree led bar) and then I look to see which one has the most watts and then enter (22" cree led bar 144w) then I go to the drop down bar and select price lowest to highest and select the cheapest priced light bar. The lense u have looks pretty cheap so I look for a clear glass lense.

The last light I received had a chip on the back of it as if it were dropped before it was packaged. I contacted the seller and told them about it along with a picture and they sent me a new light so I ended up with a free light, I was just testing to see how far the company would go for their customer. Just something to think about in the future. Sorry bout your light. Seems the Chinese are better with customer service than those faded Colorado people.

TRDtundra

Apr 28, 2012
Glendora
People either love or hate ebay. I buy so much shit from ebay it's ridiculous. Ebay will back their members purchases through paypal and penalize the sellers if they get to many bad reviews. Currently, I have a 50" and three 6" cree led bars that I'm very happy with. Never had a bad experience that didn't get resolved.

camodown

Mar 13, 2009
Yeah you have to watch these guys cause they don't tell you it is going to ship straight from china in the description. Everything you read says they are located in Colorado and the this is written on the bottom of the description

All Zeus Light Bars and Pod Lights sold by Olympus Off Road use circuit Boards made specially to our specifications, CREE Led's, and are assembled in house utilizing existing Aluminum housings.

well in house means a shop in china.

knucklehead

DONT BE A PUSSY, LETS GO!
Jun 14, 2008
SAN PEDRO,CA
All led bars are made made in china. Don't fool yourself when your buying a 30in led bar fro' Colorado for $250.

All to hear company piping up saying there based in the states here. That all they are. They got a store front here. But import all there Chinese lights. There all the same. Don't be fooled. There's guys on here trying to sell them and wen asked were the bars are made they start throwing out all kinda off bullshit. Then when the answer finally comes out. It's china.

But sucks for you man. They don't know how to take car of customers. There just in it for a quick buck since there buying the bars dirt cheap and making a profit. There not here for the long run. They just jumped on the china bar bandwagon and riding it till everybody starts seeing there all the same bars from china.

Don't get me wrong. There's is better bulbs and stages of bars. But there all from china and dirt cheap when you buy a lot.

camodown

Mar 13, 2009
This is just a customer service issue with the company to think about cause they do sell quite a few different products.

camodown

Mar 13, 2009
Amazing what a little bad press will do. He responded on a couple of the other ranger sites.
It took a couple packages cause the first one only had 2 lenses but I recieved another 4 today.

Case closed

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds