Bypass piston.

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Easton, KS
At least an inch of the short tube. Usually you would want even spacing. Say you have 9" of uptravel from ride height. The first tube would be 3" above the piston and the second would be 6" up. Unless you're buying custom shocks, you're stuck with the standard setup.

Reactions: DEZRT GM

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
^^ I always wondered if you would want the bump zone to be less spacing because it's so aggressive?

Meaning, if I could actually make custom shocks... maybe in the scenario above.... I would only want the last 2" as bump. (so, it would be at 3.5" and 7")

I mean with those numbers it doesn't make much difference. But, if you had like 13-15" of up travel it would. (which is what I think most of us with notched frames have in the rear).

With 15"... the even spacing method would net you a 5" bump zone! That seems excessive.

oorracing

<span style="color: orange;">DR Mod</span>
Jan 15, 2006
Long Beach Ca
^^ I always wondered if you would want the bump zone to be less spacing because it's so aggressive?

Meaning, if I could actually make custom shocks... maybe in the scenario above.... I would only want the last 2" as bump. (so, it would be at 3.5" and 7")

I mean with those numbers it doesn't make much difference. But, if you had like 13-15" of up travel it would. (which is what I think most of us with notched frames have in the rear).

With 15"... the even spacing method would net you a 5" bump zone! That seems excessive.

The problem isn’t the spacing on the bypass tubes for longer shocks, the problem is the lack of tubes. Add some compression and rebound trim tubes to your shocks and youll be amazed at the additional comfort you gain. Take a look at the tube layouts on the big shocks and you’ll see some with a small 1” bump zone. However they have 4-6 tubes that shrink in lengths and diameters as they get closer to the bump zone which effectively reduces flow and makes a much smoother damping curve. I’d rather have 5-6 zones that transition smoothly vs 3 zones with harsh transitions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: FasterNU

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds