Can am maverick x3.

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

art_2310

Jan 22, 2008
Fullerton
27 is steep. But it already has lt suspension and 3.0 shocks. I really want to get one.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

gearmonkey23

Dec 4, 2012
you will be looking at 30K OTD for that car... Or, get a 2016 YXZ with a 5 speed manual for 16K now. 200 HP turbo kit, and long travel kit, and you are in a better car, for cheaper than the X3. 27K is waayyyy to much for something that is still CVT driven.

art_2310

Jan 22, 2008
Fullerton
I'll probably end up getting a Yamaha, unless I find a smoking deal on an xp1000 4 seater. I'm looking to buy next year after I get back from afghanistan

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Scott F

Jan 3, 2005
Tucson (was Anaheim)
you will be looking at 30K OTD for that car... Or, get a 2016 YXZ with a 5 speed manual for 16K now. 200 HP turbo kit, and long travel kit, and you are in a better car, for cheaper than the X3. 27K is waayyyy to much for something that is still CVT driven.
You have a good point, but you can't buy the 102" wheelbase, which is one of the best features of the X3.

Scott F

Jan 3, 2005
Tucson (was Anaheim)
I rode all three of the X3 models yesterday at the Glamis Demo Day. It was my first time driving a UTV and it was a very fun experience.

They are very fast, with good suspension. The base model suspension seemed a little harsh compared to the mid and top model.
I mostly rode on Sand Highway and they handled the deep whoops very well. I was able to reach the limits of the front shocks but that could probably be adjusted out.

They handled well, the steering is light, I never felt any bump steer and the chassis never tried to swap ends in the whoops. I wasn't able to hit any jumps or climb any large hills.

The demo ride was led by a Can Am employee and they limited the top speed to around 40 mph. When I was separated from the pack I was able to get it up to around 75 and it was still pulling hard.

Two of the cars had broken belts, which probably wiped out all of the gains they had made with the free demo rides.
They had to fix the belts in the dunes and they had to go back to camp to get one of the belts.
Even the most perfect CVT is going to be the Achilles heel of these machines.

It seems all of the UTVs on the market have their design flaws, so a buyer has to pick the least offensive flaw. I hope someone like Honda will build a super UTV with a bullet proof drivetrain.

The current crop of UTVs seem to be evolving rapidly, which reminds me of the suspension evolution of dirt bikes in the 70's, or the four stroke revolution started in 98.

Red Nose

Mar 21, 2010
Adding to what'S mentioned above the new 2018 X3 is 172 hp which is not a joke those X3's are pretty fast never drove the 2018 one but the 2017 had good power-band across all speeds.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds