"Chad" 1989 toyota pickup

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register
Feb 27, 2021
Mesa az
Chad is an 89 toyota pickup with the 3 slow packed into a clapped out old offroad toy. It is currently on extended stock control arms at 3.25" over stock, and stock rear suspension. For the low cost of a stimulus check i acquired this rough gem out of lake havasu. I towed it back to phoenix with my trusty 4runner. The title says chad has 125000 miles however I doubt that, my goal for this truck is to have something I can bash out in the desert and maybe race. Chad is going to be a big project to get it back in the dirt but I'm excited for the possibilities. I'm on a college student budget so for now it is probably going to be a slow build, however i have been wanting a project like this for a while and I'm excited to see where this build goes.

Attachments

85yota

TT Motorsports
Nov 18, 2004
Santa Maria, CA
www.tt-motorsports.com
Best part about a 3.Slow is you can swap in a 3.4L very very easily and those run 1000x better as you know with the 4runner.

Also my first 85 toyota I ran 63" chevy leafs with a couple other same width leafs I got from junkyard to add some more arch to them with SAW 2.0x14" travel shocks and it worked decent. Not as good as deavers BUT a lot better than stock leafs would for sure. The chevy leafs swung good travel but didn't have enough arch to work decent at fast enough droop even with thinnn shims on rebound to have no resistance and 300psi of N2 in the shocks. Also I used to live in Phoenix and just moved away in December. What part of town are you in? I was up off carefree highway and 7th ave north phoenix

Reactions: Scandinavian_sender
Feb 27, 2021
Mesa az
I have some chevy 63's sitting in the backyard actually, I got those I want to get deaver f67's eventually but that 3rd stimulus check hasn't hit yet, I'm planning on 3.4 swapping it eventually but the 3.0 still runs miraculously so I'll probably keep that in there until it blows. I'm in gilbert out by the asu polytechnic campus. Right now I'm focusing on getting the front suspension built. My current plan is to build a +6.5 long travel kit for the front using tundra long travel axle shafts.

dose

Creepy Camper
Jan 4, 2018
Mammoth Lakes CA
Wow +6.5 is pretty wide.
Since you already have extended front arms I would suggest starting with the rear and slap on the 63s since you already have them.
Find some 16" bypass shocks and have fun.
16s will work on your stock spring pack, 63s, deavers, and 4 link so get some nice ones and they will work on everything as you upgrade.
Keep posting progress pics and welcome to DR!

Reactions: Turboyota
Feb 27, 2021
Mesa az
Wow +6.5 is pretty wide.
Since you already have extended front arms I would suggest starting with the rear and slap on the 63s since you already have them.
Find some 16" bypass shocks and have fun.
16s will work on your stock spring pack, 63s, deavers, and 4 link so get some nice ones and they will work on everything as you upgrade.
Keep posting progress pics and welcome to DR!
Yah, 6.5 over is going to definitely be really wide but solo motorsports used to sell a 6.5 kit which was what I was originally hoping to get however it appears to be discontinued, I'm going to start the rear out on the 63 chevies and get deavers eventually. The current a arms are well past their prime and I don't trust them to stay attached to the truck once I take it out for a romp and I might as well have fun and do something out of the ordinary with it, although I am worried about the extra leverage on the stock suspension mounts.

Jun 3, 2004
Corona, Ca
www.mullenfabworks.com
Do yourself a favor and skip the F67 and go straight to the H70 Deavers. You'll find that the F67 don't provide enough arch when you load the truck down with all the shit you eventually realize you'll need out in the desert.

I'll second that 6.5" over is mighty wide. These trucks don't need to be that wide to get good clean travel out of them. My 2wd kit cycled ~18" of travel at 4.5" over with minimal camber changed and bumpsteer.

Reactions: dalandser

Horunner

Aug 10, 2014
Yucaipa
Do yourself a favor and skip the F67 and go straight to the H70 Deavers. You'll find that the F67 don't provide enough arch when you load the truck down with all the shit you eventually realize you'll need out in the desert.

I'll second that 6.5" over is mighty wide. These trucks don't need to be that wide to get good clean travel out of them. My 2wd kit cycled ~18" of travel at 4.5" over with minimal camber changed and bumpsteer.
Edit-I missed one of the posts

Last edited:

mikey09120

Michael Gonzalez
Dec 5, 2009
Camarillo, CA
www.facebook.com
I'm pretty sure he is doing 6.5" per side as he said he is using Tundra LONG-TRAVEL axles, not Tundra stock axles.

Either way, 6.5"+ per side isn't too wide. I did 5" per side on my Ranger and it sat at 81" track width in the front. 84" would be okay and it will likely be narrower than that.

Horunner

Aug 10, 2014
Yucaipa
I'm pretty sure he is doing 6.5" per side as he said he is using Tundra LONG-TRAVEL axles, not Tundra stock axles.

Either way, 6.5"+ per side isn't too wide. I did 5" per side on my Ranger and it sat at 81" track width in the front. 84" would be okay and it will likely be narrower than that.
You’re correct, missed that post.

Jun 3, 2004
Corona, Ca
www.mullenfabworks.com

FWIW the last Toyota Pickup I built ended up at 78" wide with 10.50" tires and basically zero offset (IIRC) wheels. Running 12.50" tires at 6.5" over would put it right at 84" as you mentioned, which I think is too wide for a Toyota as there really isn't much to gain from the additional width. Bumpsteer is going to get wild at that width unless the front end is seriously re-worked.

Maybe I've been out of the game for too long. Everyone on IG seems to have raging boners for 96" wide trucks and DGAF about how they handle.

Reactions: J4Roe and the bodj

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds