Chair-Runner (Honcho) - Gen 1 Taco

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

J4Roe

Baller
Sep 23, 2020
Phoenix
I actually had thought about the strap part as well but wasn't sure if 4 or 5 pieces per side would hold the weight of the cab. I'm pissed now because removing the cab mounts is a major pain the ass but I've already done one. Not sure if I should scrap that idea and move to working the landing points of the cage around the body mounts. I really thought everyone removes the body mounts but then started looking through pics and noticed not really. I didn't want to compromise space but now I can see that I've made this harder. The even shittier part is that yesterday I started feeling a little head cold/sinus congestion. Today I have a fever 100.2 and now I'm fucking pissed because I might have to go get a fucking Covid test tomorrow instead of work. Needless to say that I haven't done shit to the truck today and not sure that I will. Fucking bullshit!!! I don't want to be a complete asshole and go to work tomorrow without knowing. Either way progress has been stopped today. Fuck me tender...

A.J.

OG
Jan 29, 2002
Yuma, Az
Since you have removed the LF mount may as well remove the RF also. But why not put in some temporary tube strut from the side of the frame up under the body out of the way of where you may end up running cage tubing.

Here’s a pic of the abortion I’m working on, keeping all stock mounts but deleted the firewall and floorboard.

I’ve lost a lot of motivation but I really plan on soon of getting back on it, have to cut the cab off and 360* weld the whole thing before I can move onto tacking sheet metal, obviously intend to bead roll it all also
D179E13A-55BC-4260-AE7A-0BF65059E3E1.jpeg
116FCE27-2B68-4240-B69C-9ACA38FA58B4.jpeg
1BFD2BAE-A604-4659-99F0-C22653A136E2.jpeg

Reactions: SoupGFX and J4Roe

J4Roe

Baller
Sep 23, 2020
Phoenix
Since you have removed the LF mount may as well remove the RF also. But why not put in some temporary tube strut from the side of the frame up under the body out of the way of where you may end up running cage tubing.

Here’s a pic of the abortion I’m working on, keeping all stock mounts but deleted the firewall and floorboard.

I’ve lost a lot of motivation but I really plan on soon of getting back on it, have to cut the cab off and 360* weld the whole thing before I can move onto tacking sheet metal, obviously intend to bead roll it all alsoView attachment 222264View attachment 222265View attachment 222266
Good call. That and the strap idea seems to be the two best options. Essentially, as long as the cab is welded to the cage at multiple points it's ok to completely delete the stock mounts. What I hadn't considered was how much time and effort it was going to take to delete the stock mounts. Not sure what I want to do now... 50/50 chance I got Covid so work came grinding to a halt this weekend. Saturday and Sunday were wasted rolled up into a cocoon sweating my ass off. SMFH!!!!

Thanks for the input guys.

J4Roe

Baller
Sep 23, 2020
Phoenix
Damn! I was having a productive day too... Just got notification of a positive test for COV. I'm definitely feeling almost normal today though. Still no taste and a little sinus pressure but aside from that feeling decent for sure. The no taste thing definitely blows dick hard or blows hard dick??? I don't know but I haven't had a beer in 4 days because no taste whats the point and food is all the same. My girlfriend is a god damn freak in the kitchen so I eat well but this week I could have been eating dog food and wouldn't have been able to tell the difference. Until my phone went "bling bla bling bling" and I saw "positive" written in red I was going to town on the truck with the plasma. I got the cab braced with 3 pieces per side of 1/4" strap or flat bar. It was in my scrap bin. It's definitely doing it's job. I cut out the rear D side mount and got a tunnel dug out to open it up to a gaping hole. I decided to cut them all if I'm cutting the front 2 so fuck it, I'm all in now. I have some regrets however. I think I got trigger happy like the Phoenix Police Department and a little overzealous like a fresh beat cop out of cadet academy with the inside of the truck. This I regret because in reality I don't know how much more tucked the tubes are going to be vs just running it how it was. maybe an inch or two??? A lot of work for an inch or two... Hopefully how I'm seeing this in my head and how I want it to go actually work and this all works out. I guess time will tell.

1/4" cab bracing...

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds