Chair-Runner (Honcho) - Gen 1 Taco

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

J4Roe

Baller
Sep 23, 2020
Phoenix
BUMP

FIBERGLASS blankets CHUPA GRAN VERGA!!! Thought it would be good to have for the areas near wiring and the gas tank but god damn these things shed so bad and now I have fiberglass everywhere. SMFH

In other news, making some progress. I finally got these holes cut out. Just have to do a little cleaning here and there with the flap disk and I'm pretty much ready to do the dash bar and bottom A's. The one thing that is standing out immediately is the P side bottom A near the top contacts the Toyota dash bar and makes it to where the P side bottom A is not inline with cab and or not the same as the D side. For the Toyota guys, what is the play here??? I was thinking about cutting the end off of the stock Toyota dash bar and re-mounting with 1/8" strap after I miter the dash/A pillar.

LMK bros.

Wildcard Saturday picks:
Buffalo
Seattle
Bucs

Thanks big dogs!

J4Roe

Baller
Sep 23, 2020
Phoenix
I decided that the only way I was going to like the layout of the dash bar/bottom A pillar miter was if I cut the Toyota dash bar on the P side. D side already has enough clearance. I noticed the dash bar is in there pretty good so I zip tied the P side although I'm not sure it needed it and cut an inch and a half or so out for clearance. I will re-weld a tab to the stock dash bar once the bottom A pillar is in there for good. I'm also going to use 1/4" plate for the floor/frame tie in. Still need to do a little more cleaning with the flap wheel before I can miter this first square. Getting pumped up!

Reactions: themoneypit

J4Roe

Baller
Sep 23, 2020
Phoenix
Bump. I got that dump.

I got more work done on the cage over the last 2 days. I have the bottom A/dash bar miter finished. Bottom A is 23.5" and they have a 12 degree kick to keep it tight and right. The dash bar measured approximately 56". I went 20" from the ends with 10 degree bends leaving 16" separation between bends. It came out well. I got a little done on the bottom C pillars to complete my C miter. The bottom C pillars will also be 23.5". 7" from bottom there is a 12 degree kick and another 12 degree kick at the top to bring the tube back square. Feeling pretty good out there today. I don't want to get too cocky yet and I haven't tried a complex bend yet but one axis bends I'm 5/5. The horizontal for the C miter will be approximately 57". Bends, to be determined. It got dark and I was satisfied with my progress today. I also went and bought more 1/4" plate for the B and C tie in. I had to get those cut out with the new Chinee plasma cutter to start the C miter so that also took some time today. As soon as I get the C miter finished I will move on to the upper A pillar and get the holes cut through the body to exit back of cab. I was also playing around with the bottom C pillar that I made and it looks like its actually going to be perfect for the B pillar too. The lines are almost identical so B pillar should be easy. I think B pillar will be one tube. I only needed A and C to square and then I will add B and do the roof.

Other Notes: I'm really liking this bender set up as well. I wish I had more air capacity and delivery but it works and I can't complain for a ghetto/budget set up and o yea I LIVE IN A FUCKING CONDO so I guess I'm still getting the job done so fuck it. Definitely have the digital protractor/tape measure game on point today. I'm trying really hard not to fuck up one inch of this cage.

Overall, super stoked with my progress and aptitude. Starting to get a little swagger... maybe I shouldn't speak to soon. LOL

Peace out DR! Back to work manana por la manana so work on the truck will be a little here and there until Saturday.

Joe

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
I can't tell but if that factory dash tube is close to your cage I would throw a little tie in plate on it. One of my older trucks I had it close and once all back together and in the desert I would hear click/bang noise. Found they were hitting. Tore dash back out. Welded a little plate and all was good. I am a little crazy about getting rid of noises.

Reactions: J4Roe

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds