Chair-Runner (Honcho) - Gen 1 Taco

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

charlie_brown

OG Member
Aug 10, 2004
OC/BAJA
Bump!

I'm crawling along at a snails pace but I got the center tube done that connects B crossover and windshield tube for the front intrusion or window A. I was making the last 45 degree cut on the first diagonal tube for A,B section of roof and was going a little too slow with the drill when it caught and I almost broke my wrist. LOL jesus! Luckily, it snapped the 4 tacks I had on the first pillow block bearing instead of my wrist so that was an engineering win lol. That was right after dark last night so I decided that's a sign to stop for the night. Heading outside now to fix the notcher and finish this roof today!!!! Hopefully... lol

notchers will twist you up fast. best used with a cordless drill in the screw "clutch" setting or a small 3/8 drill that you can handle. best in a drill press.

Reactions: J4Roe

J4Roe

Chair Donkey
Sep 23, 2020
Phoenix
Damn! I struggled hard today. All day for 2 tubes... Those diagonals are a bitch. My gaps are a little Heidi Fleiss but I think they will work. Nothing is tacked either so the pic doesn't make them look great.

Hopefully getting the roof finished tomorrow and see if I can get the back window out. Depends on how much of the Daytona 500 I watch lol...

J4Roe

Chair Donkey
Sep 23, 2020
Phoenix
notchers will twist you up fast. best used with a cordless drill in the screw "clutch" setting or a small 3/8 drill that you can handle. best in a drill press.
I wanted to use it in my drill press but I have a 10 or 11" and you need a 14" to use the notcher with it. The variable speed drill is doing a pretty good job though so... One day I will do it the right way lol

J4Roe

Chair Donkey
Sep 23, 2020
Phoenix
Bumpski

I decided that the gaps on 3/4 roof diagonals were Jenna Jameson and had to be remade. I had them tacked in and slept on it and it ate me alive thinking about it. I've put in too much work at this point to just send it with some mediocre/sub par notches on the roof diagonals. Somehow, I keep going from barely won't fit to shaving off too much and being 1/8, 3/16 short. The fourth diagonal that I made was the rear passenger and by that point I had started to get into the groove. I realized that because I wasn't working with a square, opposite notches had different angles. I think I finally got it pretty good with a 35 degree notch on one side and 55 on the other. The other thing that made it easier to get the notches way better was that I took some scrap and notched and welded together two example joints that mirrored the ones on the cage that I needed to fit these diags in. That front notch was a bitch because it's a weird two plane go fuck me in the ass notch. All in all, I think I wasted like 6 inches total. One of the front diags got repurposed to make a new rear diag. Two new front diags were made with CARE this time and my head was not all the way up my ass today apparently. The rear diag that was scrapped will be cut and used for B to C floor tube. The other original front diag that was scrapped will be cut and used for one of the rear side window diagonals. So it actually wasn't too bad of a step backwards. Just wasted a lot of time but I keep telling myself this time that it needs to be close to perfect. Very close!

Quick questions: I only have about 15ft of 1.75 120 DOM left. Should the rear cab x bracing in C be 1.75 120 or go down to 1.5 120 or something else. Originally I kind of thought I was going to do this all out of 1.75 120 DOM but now I see that you guys use other sizes for windshield A and some of the other x bracing side diagonals and floor tubes.

Should I go 1.75 or 1.5 for the windshield A ?????? Main floor tubes on the perimeter connecting A, B, C I thought should be 1.75 120. Other floor tubes for seats I'm seeing various, 1", 1.5"... what's good?

Tubes that I have left:
  1. Windshield A (front intrusion)
  2. Rear Cab C Pillar X Bracing
  3. Rear Side Windows/Side Intrusion Diagonals Upper and Lower
  4. Perimeter floor tubes connecting ABC
  5. Horizontal floor tubes connecting D side with P side (2)
  6. Door intrusion diagonals/seat tubes/door tubes (whatever the fuck they're called).
  7. Harness Tube/B Horizontal
Fuck me that's a lot still.

So in saying this, I need to place another order for steel but I would like to know ahead of time what I should be buying to finish those tubes on the tube to do list. 1 stick of 1.75 120, 1 stick of 1.5 120, 10 ft of 1 or 1.25" 095, 120 or what for the floor???? Definitely want to keep the weight down if I can by not placing 1.75 120 DOM where it doesn't need to be.

Welds are looking ok. Nothing to write home about but I don't think they're too bad. I have the amps cranked all the way up for good penetration. Jenna Jameson.

Not sure how much I will get done tomorrow because Friday the girlfriend and I are going to Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) for 3 or 4 days. We have the hookup of a lifetime right now and dude is treating us well so we're taking full advantage. Weird because this will only be the second time we've driven my car to Rocky Point. Might try and spearfish if my balls don't go into my stomach. Water temp 58-61 degrees.

Thanks for all the support DR. You guys are giving me that encouragement and motivation that I need to do this job right and not have it look like a fucking newb home built monkey cage.

One love!!

Joe

Last edited:

J4Roe

Chair Donkey
Sep 23, 2020
Phoenix
Surprised nobody said anything about the DEAD TUBE in the center rear LOLOLOLOL... I thought that was a huge NO NO on DR BROS!!!!!!!! LOLOL I wanted it regardless because two fold, it was going to look weird without it. Too much of a gap up there without it. Secondly, if I ever want to close out the center of the rear window that opens I will already have the corresponding tube in the roof. Naturally later down the road it would be a RPITA to put another tube in the roof. So for right now I do have ONE dead tube in the chasis. I don't believe there will be another. I know there won't be another. Well, technically I guess the windshield A terminates into dash bar and for right now there won't be an engine cage so theoretically I guess those are dead tubes too but I digress...

Going to full weld more seams today!

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Joe Bro

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds