Chair-Runner (Honcho) - Gen 1 Taco

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

Drayke

Always Baja Bound
Jan 29, 2007
Torrance
[tangent]
i think the weight limit to be an astronaut is something like 210 lbs, but NASA will never publish that because it's discriminatory. Bob Behnken used a "large" seat in the Dragon capsule, for what it's worth. He's the widest astronaut I recall seeing.

there is definitely a height limit of ~6'4" though, because of spacecraft size limitations.

[/tangent]
Resume truck stuff.

J4Roe

Chair Donkey
Sep 23, 2020
Phoenix
Bump!!

Back from Mexico! Spent an extra night there for no reason other than the owner who's been absolutely hooking us up said we could for no extra money. He told us to stay the whole week if we wanted. My girlfriend is the "assistant" but in honesty is pretty much the manager for the service department at Nash Powersports Phoenix. If any of you guys are Can Am in Phoenix and need anything done by a complete professional that respects mutual respect, honesty and pays close attention to detail and organization AKA getting your car done in a timely professional manner, HIT ME UP. Claudia's service is so over the top good that this guy with an X3 has basically extended us this indefinite Mexico condo hook up for pennies on the dollar LOL. Shout out to him!!! Hell yea brother! (Cleetus voice).

We literally had no plans this trip and being without the truck in an off road paradise is kind of sour but I spent like $38 on gas round trip. The R18 IVTEC in the 2011 Civic got us 33mpg for 210 miles one way... We went just to get out of town for a few days and this hook up is too nice not to. Only 3.5 hours from Phoenix so it's a no brainer! I did take my spear gun and snorkel gear which I'm still trying to figure out with being handicap (only 3rd time using). I'm paralyzed from knee down so fins don't do anything meaningful for me. I get a tiny amount of propulsion out of them but mostly I use my arms to swim which is hard when you need to hold onto the gun with one hand. I was going to try for some CA or Cortez Halibut that come into the shallows in the winter time. Water temp was 60 degrees and I only have a 3mm wetsuit. I only got to try one day because it was pretty windy 2/4 days we were there. The water clarity was only about 5 feet because of the residual effects of the wind from the previous 2 days. That, coupled with the fact that I'm the biggest PUSSY ever when it comes to water temp only allowed me to remain in the water for 20 minutes. I'll have to get a pic or two of that ordeal. LOL

DR was down for me yesterday, 2/25 so I hadn't seen all of your comments from the past 4 or 5 days. Thanks for all of the information guys I really appreciate how you guys broke down my list specific to the tube. After reading through the comments it seems much of it is personal preference. For me personally, I feel like ordering 3 different sizes going forward to finish up is a little bit of a hassle. I'm leaning towards using the rest of the 1.75 120 for the C rear cab x brace. I also like the idea of perimeter floor tubes being 1.75 120. I don't mind the idea of using 1.5 095 or 1.5 120 for Windshield anti-intrusion, side window diags, and interior floor/seat tubes, door side impact tubes and B harness... After the comment about weight savings only being 80lbs I would also be ok with going all 1.75 120 and just being done with it. I'm skin and bone from the waist down due to paralysis and weigh a whopping 110 lbs!!!! LOLOLOL do I really need to be conscious of weight savings????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regardless I do appreciate all the information you guys provide because I enjoy learning. There's a lot of nuance in the world so the more information you can take in the better even if it doesn't directly pertain to what you're doing at that moment. That information can be used later in life.

Stoking to get this cage finished up as we already have a return trip to the same condo March 27th for 3 nights with a guy that my girl works with and his wife. They just moved to Phoenix from San Diego (pretty rough) LOL and they want to see Rocky Point for the first time but wanted to go with someone that has experience with that part of Sonora and Mexico. Look no further... My other name is MEXICO JOE. The truck needs to be done for that trip so I can take all my fishing shit and maybe kayaks or jet ski. So now I'm officially ON THE CLOCK!!!

Thanks again for all the love and support DR!!!!

One love!

Joe

J4Roe

Chair Donkey
Sep 23, 2020
Phoenix
Looks like a badass trip! What hotel is that?

Bella Sirena!

It's my favorite and possibly the nicest resort in Rocky Point. I don't know if this is unique to RP but all of the resorts are actually privately owned condos. Many of the owners are from Phx, Tucson and now SoCAL has gotten into the mix after they built the coastal highway from San Luis/Mexicali down the SOC to Rocky Point, and past almost all the way down to Kino Bay/San Carlos. I believe the newest section completed in 2008 or around there is from San Luis to Puerto Libertad. Eventually this was supposed to have connected to San Carlos.

Here is the resort

This past Saturday the morning we drove down there was actually an off road race being held. Normally they are loop races in Rocky Point however this weekend the race was a point to point I believe originating in the cartel owned border town SONOYTA. All of the races that take place down there are Southern AZ Desert Racing Association. Rocky Point and surrounding area is ideal for off road racing. Pretty similar to San Felipe to my understanding. Lot of sand.

SADR

This was the Sonoyta 160.

Here is the exact condo we stay in...

J4Roe

Chair Donkey
Sep 23, 2020
Phoenix
Damn bro, that’s a cute ass gsp
Thanks Ho! She's definitely a panty dropper... fucking stubborn as hell though. She's AKC and has amazing German lineage. We got her from a breeder/kennel outside of Yuma, AZ. The guy has been doing it for 10 or 15 years and is highly recommended. Her retrieve drive is the strongest I've ever seen. We can put a toy at the bottom of the pool in about 4 feet of water and she will go down and get it off the bottom. She loves to run too... Usually this time of year I take her out in the desert and let her run these jeep trails while I follow behind her in the truck going about 15 mph drinking beer LOL.

Absolutely great dogs. They will put your patience to the test though, Did I mention she's stubborn AF????!!!!!

Reactions: Horunner

J4Roe

Chair Donkey
Sep 23, 2020
Phoenix
Lil Bump

Rear X

Officially out of metal now. I have a few things that I can do to stay productive while waiting for my boss to order metal or figuring out if I just need to go do it myself to save some time. My boss is the nicest guy but this guy moves like PAULIE. Remember Goodfellas????!!! "Paulie may have moved slow, but it was only because Paulie didn't have to move for anybody." I asked if I could order more tube and he said yes no problem but that could be next week, two weeks, basically whenever he gets around to it... That was fine before I started but now I'm at a stand still so I don't know if $1/ft cheaper through him is even worth it to have this project stalled out any longer...

Yesterday I got the frame areas in A B C cleaned up and prepped for an 1/8" doubler plate. I'm thinking 4x4" plates to double and spread out load at the frame. Then I will cut some 5" or so double 45 end 1.75 DOM from various 11" leftover scrap pieces to tie the doubled up frame plate into the cage under the 1/4" plate in the floor of the cab. Then plate the tube into a boxed structure.

Either similar to this or identical... JD from TW original design if I have to give credit.

I think the other thing I can start to do it get the entire cab floor cleaned and prepped and then start doing some of the areas close to firewall and rear side panels and any other area that I won't be welding next to BUTYL matted and I have some other sound and heat insulation that I want up near firewall, foot well area D and P side and roof.

Peace out DR

Joe

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds