Chair-Runner (Honcho) - Gen 1 Taco

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

J4Roe

Chair Donkey
Sep 23, 2020
Phoenix
Happy to see that the front door speakers are going to fit in stock location. I will just need to notch out the door panel and speaker grill to make it work with the door tube.

If I can keep the door tube above the B junction you can see that the angle is perfect with the seat.

Reactions: Turboyota

J4Roe

Chair Donkey
Sep 23, 2020
Phoenix
So I spent half of the day contemplating this door tube before I finally compromised with myself and dropped the tube down one inch or so into the correct location at the B junction. The tube ends up being a little bit lower than I would have liked but overall it still looks pretty good. I figured the B junction is there for a reason and now almost every tube on every plane has a corresponding tube across from it. D side is pretty much done but I ran out of light and still need to clean up my notches a little and tack it in. Not sure if I will get anything done tomorrow because NFL...

J4Roe

Chair Donkey
Sep 23, 2020
Phoenix
Last tube Bump!

Well, after 11 months I finally got the last tube bent up and fitted. I got a little aggressive with the angled cuts on the ends so the tube ended up being about 3/4" too short. I said fuck it and sleeved it. It's almost perfect now. I don't think it needs to be touched but I might have to shave the ends a bit after I weld the seams under the harness junction.

I definitely want to get on to the next steps immediately but next week we have a celebration of life party in Mexico for one of my best friend's Dad that passed away recently. I think the next step is taking out the back window to see if I can get this roof section out that way. I don't want to take out the window and then not be able to work on it for a week and a half so I will pry wait till after our trip. I still need to make a bunch of gussets as well.

Question: What is the standard material for body to cage gussets? 16g? 1/8"??? I have some dimple dies that I plan on using as well for those gussets.

- Joe

Harness Tube

J4Roe

Chair Donkey
Sep 23, 2020
Phoenix
I used 18ga and on the interior of my Jeep. I don’t see the need for anything thicker, the factory sheet metal was even thinner.

Nice! Thanks man. Just took a looksy at your build and those body gussets are exactly what I have in mind. 18g should be pretty easy to work with then. I was kind of worried about being able to bend the material with these dimple dies that I purchased and a bench vice. Those gussets are clean though, excellent work.

Reactions: SByota

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds