charlie browns motor swap

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

charlie_brown

OG Member
Aug 10, 2004
OC/BAJA
Now doing some prep for a summer fun run.
I installed some hub centric sleeves on the dana 44 front hubs while i qas preping the front corners. These things fit great and hold the rim good. I did find a good crack on the passenger side swing set.

I have had a problem with a fuel leak around the top plate so i dug into it this time. Wow...... My 20 year old cell is de laminating at the top.
So i called fuel safe to order a new bladder. Say what?? They change sizes in 2006 and dont make the old size anymore other then custom and even though they made this comon size for 20 years....no one has records of it so now its a custom. Even thou the new standard bladder is only a 1/2" wider. Not sure if that will cause a problem. All fuck.

I did by a new cell last year to start preping fo a v8 swap. It is a 41 gal. But to put it in, i will have re-back half the truck. Shit. Was not ready for this yet.

I have been trying ro get hold of harmon cells but after a day and a email, 2 calls, nothing yet. I may just order tubes and start cutting

Attachments

GahnRacing

Bonsai Trimmer
Oct 5, 2012
Clovis, CA
My experience with Harmon wasn't the best. The shop guys seem to be up to date with customers jobs and what's going on, but the receptionist seems to be a lost cause. She was very hard to work with.

85yota

TT Motorsports
Nov 18, 2004
Phoenix, AZ
I would buy the fuel safe can and have a sheet metal shop make that can 1/2in wider if itll fit. Harmon wanted 1500 for a new 40 gal bladder for my cell. Fuel safe as about a grand

charlie_brown

OG Member
Aug 10, 2004
OC/BAJA
well, Harmon has still not answer the phone or responded to social media DM, phone mesg, and e-mail. makes it hard to want to do business with them even though i could spend a day and drive there and do business in person.

men while, i have still been communication with fuel safe. they finally told me that it would not be a problem to use a bladder that is 1/2" wider when all other dissensions are good. so i just order one. this way i can still go out and have fun for 6 months/year. then i will sell it and install the 41 gal i have in my shed.

mean while i am more serious about getting the parts together and getting a new designed i want to do for a new back half.

charlie_brown

OG Member
Aug 10, 2004
OC/BAJA
It os the old style with just the 2 tabs. Passenger side one of the tabs is cracked. I was never a fan of this style but just kept an eye on it. I am either going ro fix it with drilling a hole on each side,weld, then make a "hat" gusset across the top or check with dave on his new set up with the bolt on bracket.

Attachments

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds