charlie browns motor swap

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

charlie_brown

OG Member
Aug 10, 2004
OC/BAJA
so, i picked up a set of 3.0 x14" king coil overs.

looking to replace my sway a ways on the front to give me more shock instead of adding a bypass.

i am trying to not have to remake my lower shock mount.
does any know if king makes 1 1/2" spacers with a 1/2" hole? or any different rod ends?

and or with all the fab shops around, does anyone make a prefab beam 5/8" mount?

i have access to a machinist that can narrow the 3.0 rod end down to the size of a 2,5. just not sure of the strength lost.

marcytech

Mega Member
Mar 16, 2011
i have a few sets of king 3/4" misalignments. ill measure the spread on em and if they are what you need you can have em, if not just get some bigger ones and turn them down, no strength will be lost. thats what i did. they are just a low grade stainless steel with no heat treat.

Reactions: charlie_brown

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Fullerton, CA
I believe desolate has a beam mount that will work. They come with a 1/2 hole but I believe they just open them up to 5/8 on their 3.0 builds. I have them and I’m pretty sure there’s enough meat there to do so. I believe the end has a 3/4 radius. That would leave you 7/16 of material around the bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: charlie_brown

charlie_brown

OG Member
Aug 10, 2004
OC/BAJA
Good luck not remaking mounts. I think those things are waaaay longer than a SAW.
Well, just seeing if i can skip making the lowers. Trying to not have to pull the whole front end off and re-powder coat it again.

I am remaking the front cage. It gave up the ghost on my last baja trip after 18 years of service.

I could just remake it the way it was or just repair it but its a good time to add a bypass or change to king 3.0.

Thought the 3.0 would be a good change. Picked up a good set.

Had the lower rod ends machine down to fit my lower mounts. Picked up a brake master relo and a some brake line.

Goal for this is to:
Get more bump.
Install the ump air filter.
Make better room for a v8.
Updating the shocks bigger for heat.

Attachments

Reactions: yltaco05 and Drayke

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips