charlie browns motor swap

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

charlie_brown

OG Member
Aug 10, 2004
OC/BAJA
That interior is classy as fuck
thanks. the headliner was the biggest pain in the ass. it was an experiment i tried.

since i generally dont wear helmets, i wanted some protection and try to kill some noise.

so i put roll cage padding over the tubes. then i got a sheet of 2 1/2" closed cell foam. made patterns in-between the cage. that was the easy part.
the hard part was figuring which pieces to glue together so i can take them out when needed.
what glue to use and all for the different material.

then trying to cover it in vinyl. again i had to try and find glue that would "flex" and not just fall apart. and then some kind of glue that can handle the high heat of the summer so it wont sag.

Attachments

charlie_brown

OG Member
Aug 10, 2004
OC/BAJA
So i have been looking for a tow pig that i could camp/sleep in when doing a base camp set up. And one that i could bring more then one other person with me so more friends can have fun. The search picked up the pace because my daughters and my cruise got cancelled again for the 2nd time. So we will reschedule our Mediterranean trip again but it pushed me to by somthing that we will take a road trip in this summer.
Been looking for a 4 door diesel on and off for a while. Then i added up the cost to get a camper set up and its just not in the cards under the short time. Friends at work have a few vans for baja surfing so i started looking at them.
So hard to find a decent diesel van with low miles and not torn to shit.
I found this one on ebay. 2005 e350, One onwer, never towed anything, driven by a wife for her wheelchair husband. All dealer maint. So i picked it up.
The roof has a 15" higher cap and the floor was lowered 6". This gives me enough room to stand up.

Had to remove the wheel chair lift 1st to give me a blank canvas.
Going to try and sell the lift.

On order so far, class 4 trailer hitch, swivel front sets, window shades all around.

Attachments

charlie_brown

OG Member
Aug 10, 2004
OC/BAJA
Lift is out. Took a full day. I tried not to hack it out as much as possible for a better sell.
Dam thing is heavy.
Now i can do a quick set up for my our summer drive trip. And a full service so i am not pulling any wrenches.
After that, i will decide if i want to keep it. If i keep it, it will get lifted, diff locker, and a better set up inside. Would be used for slower exploring trips around the states and baja surf-n-fun. To tow my truck to base camp stuff.

Attachments

charlie_brown

OG Member
Aug 10, 2004
OC/BAJA
That thing looks awkward as fuck to take out in 1 piece.
and it was. bent 2 ratchet straps because i did not have proper lifting straps.

i will get some pictures of the floor. looks like it was a option for the lift. i think it was made on a table all cut and welded, bolted the lift on. the cut the floor out. and then lifted the whole thing with the new floor in the van. then welded up. has square tube for bracing under and bolted to the frame at a few points. i will have to pull the carpet inside to see how all that is but from what i see under, looks good.

i got the shops name and location that did the install in San Diego.

Reactions: 85yota

dsrtrcr01

Booshie Cat
Jan 31, 2005
and it was. bent 2 ratchet straps because i did not have proper lifting straps.

i will get some pictures of the floor. looks like it was a option for the lift. i think it was made on a table all cut and welded, bolted the lift on. the cut the floor out. and then lifted the whole thing with the new floor in the van. then welded up. has square tube for bracing under and bolted to the frame at a few points. i will have to pull the carpet inside to see how all that is but from what i see under, looks good.

i got the shops name and location that did the install in San Diego.
Maybe that shop will buy the ramp off of you

Reactions: 85yota and ucd baja

charlie_brown

OG Member
Aug 10, 2004
OC/BAJA
wow. pulled my truck out of the garage this last weekend. been a few months. time flys. only put about 400 miles on it for all of 2021. its been prepped and ready to go. just this last year had a lot of scheduling conflicts, family/friends passing away. had 6 last year. looking forward to 2022

anyways, i am looking to rent a trailer for KOH. been looking around and i get a response fairly quick but after they ask a few questions, they seem to be not very responsive on securing a trailer.

i guess it will be just another day run if i cant get a trailer for KOH. i refuse to stay in a tent ever again at that time of year.

Reactions: racechase01

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds