Chop Shop Builds

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

P.R.exploder69

Mega Member
May 7, 2008
phoenix, az
finished the beams today, added a gusset from the stock part to wheere the balljoint extended, then added a gusset over both parts. gonna start the tear down tomorrow. hoping to have it all on by friday.

P.R.exploder69

Mega Member
May 7, 2008
phoenix, az
way to tired to post a bunch of pics and write up, so ill do it tomorrow while at work. but heres one. got the beams, 4:56s, and everything but the bypasses installed. didnt have time so i just threw the stock ones on for now. went to a bad ass trail that ended at bartlett lake. defiantly more of a rock crawler trail but it did great. SO much fun.

P.R.exploder69

Mega Member
May 7, 2008
phoenix, az
ok, so basically this thing was rushed to get put together this weekend so i didnt get to do as much as i could, but all worked good enough to have a blast sunday which im more than happy about.

picked up a rear end with 4.56's and a limited slip, not a locker like a thought, and also the front 3rd member with 4.56s and limited slip also from my friends ford junkyard. swapped the rear end and also put in some 2" blocks i had from an old lift kit because otherwise it sat staring at the moon. also he had some radius arms off the truck the gears came out of, so i decided to just use those since there were bushing mounts like i planned on running. then i didnt have to build any in such a rush. so i swapped all the axles and what not into my new beams.
put new ball joints in and what not... which is where i hit my first problem, the new ball joints had a big ass nylock nut on the lower ball joint, and it hit the U-joint and wouldnt let it spin the axle. so i just ground down the nut at an angle a little bit for it to clear. not sure what else to do in that situation since the stock ball joint nut was about half the height?
so i did that on both sides for it to clear. then i put the beams together and mounted them back up....

as i was cycling them and what not for the radius arms, i noticed the U-joint in between the two beams was binding quite a bit as one beam was up at full bump and the other at about ride height. couldnt really do much, so i continued the install. got everything mounted up, cut the front half of the stock coil bucket where i planned on mounting the bypass. but this was saturday at about 10pm already and we were going out sunday morning. so i decided to just put one of the stock procomp shocks back on for now, so that it would also limit my travel and i wouldnt get to much U-joint bind.
added a little gusset plate to the front of the coil bucket so it didnt bend up at all.

sunday morning went out to a new trail that was more of a rock crawler trail, but it did pretty damn good after putting the tires to about 15psi. everything did good other then some u-joint bind that made some knarly squeeking noises and also, when we got back on the freeway i noticed my front end was sitting about 2" lower and the camber was negative... got back to the shop and re-aligned the toe to see if that was off. wasnt off to bad, checked for anything bent and couldnt find anything. i just feel like the BDS springs even being brand new wouldnt settle that much lower? there supposed to be pre settled, but who knows how much i guess.

so whoever said fuck reading this novel i just wrote..
how does everyone get so much travel with there beams without that center U-joint bind im getting?
and any thoughts or ideas on the springs settling or why its sitting so much lower?

posting pics now..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds