Chop Shop Builds

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

P.R.exploder69

Mega Member
May 7, 2008
phoenix, az
just dropped it off to the guys shop and he called me within the first hour to tell me that the firing order MIGHT be way off depending on what year the motor is (we have no idea) but also, he said the O2 sensor needs to be moved A FOOT AN A HALF from where it is, which also could be the reason for something i explained to him thats happening. so hes going to dig into/start changing that and go from there. he'll do what he can before he digs into changing the timing chain.........

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Fullerton, CA
ahhh yes, if its an HO it will have a different firing order (same as a 351W) there may be some non HO years that have the same, not sure though. Sounds like the shop knows what they are doing though. though now that i think about it, if the firing order was off, I don't think it would ever run "good" so if it ran good at all, then its probably not firing order

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
and ill bet the O2 sensor placement is not causing THAT much of your issue. If its just after the collector of the two exhaust banks coming together, that will have hardly any effect on tuning. you dont want it right next to the exhaust ports on the head and i highly doubt its thats close since you have 1 O2 sensor to read both sides of the engine.

Reactions: smokeysevin

P.R.exploder69

Mega Member
May 7, 2008
phoenix, az
So, I dropped it off at the shop that the Holly technician at SDHQ recommended, yesterday morning to replace the timing chain...... And the clusterfuck continues.

TC is the holy technician that messed with my truck when it was there and he knows these kits like the back of his hand, according to SDHQ.
He is friends with a guy named Doug, that would gladly replace my timing chain if I brought it to him. So, he gave me his number.

He is a total Ford guy and knows Ford's in and out. So I definitely felt reassured taking it to him.

Dropped it off with Doug, yesterday morning.
He said, he will mess with whatever else he thinks it could be, before he starts doing the timing chain to save me some money, hopefully.

He called me within a few hours to say, that my O2 sensor was placed about a foot and a half forward in the wrong position.
So, he will change that and then he said he checked the firing order and it was definitely correct. So, he will mark those two things off the list and then call me.

Then he calls me an hour later and says, he hurt his back or something so, he can't sit in my bucket seat driving it for very long.

But, he checked something and it is definitely NOT the timing chain......

Would I like to come down and test drive it for like, 10 miles? He said it's running about 90% better but, it's still kind of has that stumble..... He wasn't sure because he couldn't drive it for that long.
Great!
Yes, yes, yes. On my way.

I get there and hop in it and figure out it's about 5 miles away from SDHQs shop so, I say I'm just going to go there a few times and then come back.
RAN FANTASTIC AND HUGE DIFFERENCE ON THE WAY THERE.
But then.......

I go to leave and about a block down the road, it starts doing that sputtering stuff again. Not that much but, enough for me to notice.

And it does it a few more times.....

Then it doesn't a lot...

Finally I go to make it turn down somewhat side street that wasn't very busy and, when I made the right turn, it sputtered and completely died. So, this time it was worse than when I brought it to SDHQ initially.....

I made it back to the guys shop and told him and, he said since I'm leaving for the weekend, he will mess with it a lot more and find some way to test drive it for longer or have one of his shop guys do it for him or whatever. But he will figure it out and, whatever it is, is definitely in the settings. He's positive of that......

He said he will definitely, and has been talking to the Holley guy at SDHQ, get it figured out.

Again, no blame on anyone else for anything right now. In case that's what you're getting out of my explanation.....
Take it as you will, but I'm just saying what was told to me/I did.

Sent from UR MOMS BED!!!

OHHHH!!! Burn!!!

smokeysevin

is Ron Burgundy?
Dec 28, 2012
Houston
Do they monitor fuel pressure or anything while driving?

Not having worked on these holley fuel systems you could have a temperature offset wrong which causes the engine to lean out too much once it hits operating temp.

Hell, you could have the temp sensor in a spot that either doesnt get heat, or heat soaks and it throws the map off.

Sean

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
Do they monitor fuel pressure or anything while driving?

Not having worked on these holley fuel systems you could have a temperature offset wrong which causes the engine to lean out too much once it hits operating temp.

Hell, you could have the temp sensor in a spot that either doesnt get heat, or heat soaks and it throws the map off.

Sean

Temps sensors arent that specific in changing of timing or fueling to cause that. it would have to be a huge swing like the sensor saying 50* and its at 200*. Generally has to be under 35* (like real cold weather) for a significant change to make the truck like it is. IIRC, he posted it was reading the right temp.

smokeysevin

is Ron Burgundy?
Dec 28, 2012
Houston
Temps sensors arent that specific in changing of timing or fueling to cause that. it would have to be a huge swing like the sensor saying 50* and its at 200*. Generally has to be under 35* (like real cold weather) for a significant change to make the truck like it is. IIRC, he posted it was reading the right temp.
I can only speak to how the megasquirt handles the temp curves but if the enrichment curves are wrong it can run fine for a while and then stop running right suddenly. Once the ecu gets the signal that the engine has reached operating temperature it stops using the warmup enrichment value which is required during startup.

Sean

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds