Chop Shop Builds

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

P.R.exploder69

Mega Member
May 7, 2008
phoenix, az
Weld up cracks.
Take out the lower arms and use the tabs as a guide to drill a hole trought the lower frame tube. Open hole up with step drill for a piece of shock boss. Stick shock boss through tube to tab. Weld all together and get a longer bolt.
ok, ill try to explain with these pics.

what youre sayng is exactly how thwe dunebuggy.com car was, if i remember right?
proble;m with doing that is.... the main "parallel/down tubes to the back bumper" are in the way. theyre about half a tube length, over where the bolt would need to go.

i think the pics make more sense....

Weld a diagonal tube in from the bulkhead tube to the outer corners of the firewall. Use upper tabs to drill in and weld shock boss in like the lower.
wait....... what?

Add extra outer tube from outer edge of firewall around shocks to bummer support tubes. Use plate to tie in shock mounts.
you mean like this????

P.R.exploder69

Mega Member
May 7, 2008
phoenix, az
the hood is also something that i dont want to have to cut up............
and i can bet my son on it that my dad wont do. hah. i know, i know the alternative but..... ideas without having to do that

(also, if you guys can nigger rig some pictures that explain what youre proposing(kinda like i tried to do), thatd be a HUGE help for me......)

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
maybe cut the tube out that is cracking infront of the braces, sleeve with some chromoly inside as long as you can get it, then put back together and do as barg stated?

i feel that tube is just fatigued and its just going to keep moving the crack out farther and farther.

P.R.exploder69

Mega Member
May 7, 2008
phoenix, az
Will paint CAD some pics when I get home.

Bummer about the tubes being in the way. You have a lot of leverage on a very small attachment area.
TRUST ME, I KNOW. hah.
i wish i would of known this shit before. but that was when....
well. blah blah blah. shoulda coulda woulda. hah

id basically have to redo the whole fucking car to make the leverage point better........

maybe cut the tube out that is cracking infront of the braces, sleeve with some chromoly inside as long as you can get it, then put back together and do as barg stated?

huh?

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
So here’s my idea.

RED: cut this tube all the way through here, to the right of the picture (doesn’t show becuase it’s cut off), follow the tube till it bend around and then cut it all the way through as well. Hack off any bracing that is holding that tube and remove it for the time being.

GREEN ARROW: take a smaller piece of chromoly tube that’s .120 wall or thicker and hammmer that mother fucker into the tube that is holding all the suspension parts (think, sleeving the tube). Knock it all the way in as far as you can or atleast till it is a few inches past where the last tube brace is on the opposite side of where you are hammering.

Now cut off the smashed up end of tube leaving again 3-4” or more tube sticking out and slide the cut off tube back on. Sleeve the other cut area and weld all back in.

Then do as barge said via drilling and longer bolt/sleeve.

Beyond that, you are cutting the whole front end off and cutting a bunch of old tube out for thicker better stuff

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds