Chop Shop Builds

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

P.R.exploder69

Mega Member
May 7, 2008
phoenix, az
PussyGetter is donezo.

Well, maybe not donezo but..... I don't fucking know what to do.
Started it the other day too go to yoga or the gym or something, I can't remember. And there was a somewhat loud knocking noise coming from the motor. Not necessarily knocking like a rod or anything but come just a lighter knock. So I shut it off and decided not to drive it. Had Papa listen to it so I had a witness to the sound.
Left for a little bit in my big truck and then came back and went to go move the truck in the backyard to park it.
No knocking noise that I could tell when I moved it in the back.......?
Came back kinda after I parked it.
I just assumed it was the motor and I was going to have to swap the 302 or something.
But then, Papa and I started to look around and listen to it when it was running in the backyard. Pretty sure it's not an exhaust leak, like Willis said it kind of sounded like.
Then we kind of traced it to coming from around the water pump. So I'm kind of thinking, it might be the timing chain? Right?
Old carb'd 302, no idea on what it came out of or how many miles are on it or anything about the motor, other than it was a carbureted 302.

So now......
Either way I'm going to have to pull motor out of the truck at least halfway. I'm not sure how much of a pain it's going to be and if I'm going to have to cut any of the engine cage out to pull the motor out enough?

Do I just pull it out enough take the water pump off and everything, and replace the timing chain?
Or
Do I just replace the whole 302 with another junkyard 302?
Or
6.0?

Definitely not the 6.0 option But I know a lot of you are going to recommend that. Why I put it out there. It has already been wired really well for this motor and everything with this motor. Plus I've got a lot of money this C6.
So no go on that.

Of course, I had the thought of just doing whatever I could to get it running again and then sell it and get something with at least three seats in it for whoever is LUCKY ENOUGH to start dating me and Brogan. But I just remembered that, this truck is going to go to Brogan when he's old enough. I've always said that and I'm going to stay with that for a lot of mooshy gooshy reasons that you guys don't want to read about.

I had a lot more options than i kept thinking of but, not really now. Just listening it out made me think of things differently. I guess the only option that I'm going to do is replace / fix this motor.
I'm just really afraid of pulling the motor out and starting to take a bunch of stuff apart on the front end, then decide, just fuck it I need to fix this in this and this and do this and make a new firewall and make a better transmission tunnel to get to all the transmission bolts and and and.... Ha

Sent from "someone that you know's" poonany phiZZZone

P.R.exploder69

Mega Member
May 7, 2008
phoenix, az
Could you pick up another cheap 302, go through it top to bottom, and simply straight swap it. Just run the fucker till it’s toast and the new motors ready.
302's are pretty cheap to rebuild.

I know that I need to either just swap the motor or fix this one. I just don't want to pull the motor out at all because I know how I am NOW and I will want to redo everything nice, finally.

85yota

TT Motorsports
Nov 18, 2004
Santa Maria, CA
www.tt-motorsports.com
I would drain the oil and see if there is anything metallic in it and if there is then drop the pan and see if you can figure out what it is. If not and you think it's something with timing chain then dropping the pan would reveal anything that's broken up there it'll end up in the pan. Too bad i wasn't in Phoenix anymore or I would say bring it by and i'd check it out for ya.

P.R.exploder69

Mega Member
May 7, 2008
phoenix, az
I would drain the oil and see if there is anything metallic in it and if there is then drop the pan and see if you can figure out what it is. If not and you think it's something with timing chain then dropping the pan would reveal anything that's broken up there it'll end up in the pan. Too bad i wasn't in Phoenix anymore or I would say bring it by and i'd check it out for ya.
Good idea!

One thing though......
Whatever fucking idiot redneck put this motor in, made it so the pan basically touches the cross member. Meaning I'd still have to pull the motor out halfway just to drop the pan.
That was the first thought papa had actually.... Hah

I could just start with draining the oil though and seeing what that looks like.

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
cut the oil filter open (not with a saw or angle grinder) and check the pleats for metallic shavings. Does that engine use hydraulic lifters or solid lifters? it sounded like a lifter issue to me.

Reactions: smokeysevin

P.R.exploder69

Mega Member
May 7, 2008
phoenix, az
cut the oil filter open (not with a saw or angle grinder) and check the pleats for metallic shavings. Does that engine use hydraulic lifters or solid lifters? it sounded like a lifter issue to me.
lifting ur mawm used to be an issue for me, too..... then i stole a forklift. muy bueno now.

but fo reeeel.........
ill tell papa about this and see what he says.

Reactions: Heer-O

P.R.exploder69

Mega Member
May 7, 2008
phoenix, az

papa said hydraulic lifters
and the head and valves were just done and i dont have 500 miles on them yet, either......

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds