Chuck V3 the $600 junkyard build

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

5lugger95

Dec 8, 2012
Against better judgement I'm starting a build thread for my 1994 Toyota 4x pickup. After three years of an ME degree my attention to detail and patience has increased ten fold, my Fab skills however, have not since I was 17. So I need a project that most of the structural work was done by a quality fabricator and everything else that wasn't safety/structure related I could learn on and get better at fabbing.

So incomes chuck V3, I found him at a junkyard south of LA for $600. A 1994 pickup, with a running 3.0, working manual trans, working 4x4, a total chaos full uniball (frame and spindle side) kit, TC heim steering, TC idler arm, full 1.75 cage front to back with 1.5 lacing, and that's about it. He sat in the yard for 3 years rusting so I have a bit of work ahead of me. If your looking for high quality fab work, or pretty tig welding this is not your thread, this is a learning on build, and I'm sure I'll have to cut off and redo stuff along the way.

So without further ado, here's chuck how I first got him.
and here's the race truck that TC told me the kit came off of
sanded the pig for about two days straight, then used 7 cans of flat black from back to firewall
needed a rad support so I went and bought tubing for the first time in my life
spent $300 on a full used glass set up for chucky
and this is when I discovered how much of a bitch a one piece hood was, and how bad mounting bedsides alone was... either way.
also picked up some seats for $100. I only had 5 days to work on it before school back in South Carolina started back after spring break. So I'll hopefully be buying coilovers, and a donor vehicle for the summer while I'm at school. Until then I'll be brainstorming how the hell to put some form of back window in and learn how to weld sheet metal.

I'm only $1000 into it, full glass, 2 suspension seats, running truck, full TC kit, full cage. So I'm not doing to bad yet pocket wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
For the bavk window i would trace a stock 1 piece to cardboard. Then notch where tubes are for a nice fit. Then transfer to lexan.

5lugger95

Dec 8, 2012
For the bavk window i would trace a stock 1 piece to cardboard. Then notch where tubes are for a nice fit. Then transfer to lexan.
I'm thinking the same thing, I can use the stock metal frame of a back window, and even incorporate the middle sliding glass but lexan/black sheet metal in the two side pieces were the tubes go through. I'd like it to be water tight so either lexan with rubber rings or just sheet metal sprayed black

5lugger95

Dec 8, 2012
Got some superrr sick seats for chuck, got them on the cheap cheap and their in great condition and super comfy

Picture of the back. Going to sell those 9 inch shackles and grab some 12s, I have used f67s laying around that I'm gonna throw on.

Reactions: dalandser

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
The 12's I assume you will be making new mounts for them above the frame instead of through it

5lugger95

Dec 8, 2012
The 12's I assume you will be making new mounts for them above the frame instead of through it
Yeah of course, I'm not sure why the previous builder put 9s through the frame with stock springs.

5lugger95

Dec 8, 2012
found a fuel cell laying in the back of my grandpas shop and decided to do away with my rusted out stock tank. Not sure on size or anything but it's baffled and running the stock tacoma pump, and sending unit.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds