Chuck V3 the $600 junkyard build

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

5lugger95

Dec 8, 2012
Truck is still going strong!

The cage is leaking a bit at the firewall, so I have to rip out a moldy carpet. Due to that I have been brainstorming ideas, but I think I’ll end up just putting a stock carpet back in.

Also planning a trip to Arizona this coming summer to wheel in the Superstition Mountains and the Apache trial because my grandmother just bought a house out there. I’ll probably drive it down to BAJA afterwards.

Since it’ll be around a 5,000 mile trip I’ll be putting a bunch of time and money into it in the next six months.

My list as of now:

1. Bumper! (Buying a bender finally)
2. AC, it’s 100+ degrees in Arizona when I’ll be going
3. New shock hoops
4. Electric cooling fan, the Toyota one is loud as shit
5. Spool
6. Winch

All these little projects should be easy and provide a lot of function. The trucks been getting a bit neglected due school, me picking up an e46 M3 that needed some work, and working part time for a spec e46 racing team.. I’m pretty motivated for this summer trip so hopefully I’ll have a real update soon.

Pics of m3 since it’s taken time and money from chuck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tanker Kranker

5lugger95

Dec 8, 2012
As predicted, after some heavy use my stock seat mounts are ripping the floor of the truck a bit. Enough to allow the seat to move around.. so I am going to solid mount the seats this week since I have some time off.

Right now I have a ton of 1.5 .095 tube and 1/8 plate.. brainstorming how to best mount the seats.
1. Off the outside frame rail, then land the tube onto the plated trans tunnel. Issue I see with this is the tunnel and frame probably move a bit independently of each other and may crack. Even though the cab is solid mounted.
2. Run two tubes across the span of the interior from the left frame rail to the right (through the trans tunnel) I think the trans is in the way of this though.

Any others ideas/suggestions?

Here is a picture of what I'm working with (this is before the truck was put back together)

Screenshot_20201227-102435.jpg

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

dsrtrcr01

Jan 31, 2005
In my cages I ran a floor bar from a pillar to b. I then run tube from driver side to passenger. I am able to sink the rear seat tube halfway into the trans tunnel without hitting the trans because the trans gets small back there. The front tube either bend to clear the tunnel or just plate and weld to the tunnel. Rear seat bar takes most of the weight.

5lugger95

Dec 8, 2012
In my cages I ran a floor bar from a pillar to b. I then run tube from driver side to passenger. I am able to sink the rear seat tube halfway into the trans tunnel without hitting the trans because the trans gets small back there. The front tube either bend to clear the tunnel or just plate and weld to the tunnel. Rear seat bar takes most of the weight.
Yup, this is the direction I am going to go then. What size tubing were you able to fit in the tunnel for the rear bar, see any issues with 1.5?

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Reactions: partybarge_pilot

Turboyota

Mar 29, 2017
Yucaipa
My Toyota seat tubes are 1.25x0.065” partially sunk into the floor and welded to the trans tunnel with a doubler plate

My ranger i used 1.5x0.095”

Mobza is 1.5x0.120” through the trans tunnel

84projectford

Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
Truck is still going strong!

The cage is leaking a bit at the firewall, so I have to rip out a moldy carpet. Due to that I have been brainstorming ideas, but I think I’ll end up just putting a stock carpet back in.

Also planning a trip to Arizona this coming summer to wheel in the Superstition Mountains and the Apache trial because my grandmother just bought a house out there. I’ll probably drive it down to BAJA afterwards.

Since it’ll be around a 5,000 mile trip I’ll be putting a bunch of time and money into it in the next six months.

My list as of now:

1. Bumper! (Buying a bender finally)
2. AC, it’s 100+ degrees in Arizona when I’ll be going
3. New shock hoops
4. Electric cooling fan, the Toyota one is loud as shit
5. Spool
6. Winch

All these little projects should be easy and provide a lot of function. The trucks been getting a bit neglected due school, me picking up an e46 M3 that needed some work, and working part time for a spec e46 racing team.. I’m pretty motivated for this summer trip so hopefully I’ll have a real update soon.

Pics of m3 since it’s taken time and money from chuck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coming out here, I’d highly advise keeping the factory mechanical fan. Electric will never flow the cfm that factory fan flows, hence why it’s so loud

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds