Custom steering shaft

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register
Nov 8, 2019
Arizona
I’m wanting to build a custom steering shaft in my ranger. I am now to the point where the stock steering column needs to go. I’m just wondering if people can show some ideas or give me some tips on how to go about doing it. I know kartek selling the bearing shaft part. Just not sure what to use. Thanks

sirhk100

Racer
Feb 24, 2003
Las Vegas
i would 100% use the blitzkrieg steering column personally. i made my own with bronze bushings from mcmastercarr. but always wished i had something a little nicer.

Exact same situation, used bronze bushings and some collars to clamp on the shaft itself that ride against the bushings to keep it in position basically. Wish I'd simply used the Blitz one as well in hindsight. But mine works just fine...

04yfzkid

I are smarts
Mar 21, 2007
Flagstaff, AZ
I forget the part number but there is an FK hiem that the dual sport buggy guys use. I know it's a decent size hiem but the inner "ball" accepts a much lager shaft.

85yota

TT Motorsports
Nov 18, 2004
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah polyperformance used to sell them too. Ran a thin nylon bushing. I would just make my own out of bronze bushings from mcmaster but the BMS one is super nice.

yamaha kid

2073 KTB Racing Ranger
Nov 7, 2007
Menifee, CA
I used the BMS one too. Its super nice and worth every penny. I forget exactly what spline pattern the steering box is but Kartek or Nexgen will most likely have them in stock.

Mount the steering column where you like it and then put the u joints on each end and basically connect the dots between the two with 3/4” tubing. You may need to add another u joint with a small section of tubing depending on what you need to clear to get to the steering box. You can get either splined or weldable u joints and if you do need to use 3 u joints you will need to add a support to one of them so it doesn't wobble.

Reactions: Turboyota

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds