Cut and extended ford ranger beams

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

97f25073

Apr 9, 2022
Orange county
Hello, I’m looking for guidance on how to cut and extend some beams off an 86 ranger. I’m not sure where to cut and what to put to extend the beams, also what year spindles will fit a pair of 86 beams. Going to be running a single coilover for now in the front.
Thank you for the help, Nick

Jun 21, 2007
Bakersfield Ca
bakerfabrication.net
Hello, I’m looking for guidance on how to cut and extend some beams off an 86 ranger. I’m not sure where to cut and what to put to extend the beams, also what year spindles will fit a pair of 86 beams. Going to be running a single coilover for now in the front.
Thank you for the help, Nick

Typically your gonna extend between the radius arm bolt and between the end. 84-88 ranger beam ends are what your gonna be looking for as the balls joints are pressed into the beam vs the 89-97 where they are in the spindle.

If I remember right your lower extension tubes gonna be roughly 1/2' to 5/8 longer at 4.5 inches wider and 5.5 inches of lift but should always double check when building.

85yota

TT Motorsports
Nov 18, 2004
Lucerne Valley, CA
www.tt-motorsports.com
Do you cut it and just plate over(having an empty space) or do you add some sort of pie cut in there then plate over that?
When I have done extended forged beams, 12 years ago, I cut the beam in half. Then I used doubled 3/16" plate to make the same I beam shape between the cuts the amount I wanted it extended. Then welded it up real good. Then plated over that onto the stock beams a couple inches per side with some 1/8" plate and welded that up nice and hot. Then I was doing a more race style setup I cut the inner pivot off, cut a slot into the beam so I would install a tube and a bung/heim for pivot. Once that was in I fully plated the beam front and back as well as on top from inside where it would contact bumpstop to outer ball joint ear. I never had a problem with that BUT the 3rd race I bent the stock ranger spindle on the knuckle, so I chopped the end off and installed a D44 TTB end so I could run larger bearing setup.

BUT for a more budget setup I did the same thing as above with doubled plate, since I didn't have any 3/8" plate, then made beam extended area match the factory beam shape and size, then plated over all that with some 1/8" with some 1" and 1.5" holes to get good weld on the inside of the plating to the beams and extension plates.

Jester9

The Jester's Workshop
Apr 1, 2014
Central Texas
I extended from the pivot end and pie cut the knuckle side of the beam(yes I know they are king pin but same concept) if you plan to go with hiems anyway I would do this. I did 1/4 plate in the pie cut and overlaid with 1/8.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds