D44 ttb first Gen 2002 frontier cab build

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

kx1hundred

Apr 13, 2008
fontUCKY
This obsession for a streetable highly capable long travel truck started back in high school senior year 2005 after watching the dirt alliance videos. The real trigger was watching James red center mount Nissan Frontier eating whoops and hitting the big jumps and my curse was owning a Nissan Frontier, with almost no after market support for a big number long travel kit. My goal has always been to have very ambitious to have 20+ inches of travel in the front and close to 30 inches in the rear all while keeping the cab intact along with all the creature comforts. In 2007 I emailed camburg about the possibility of adapting their Tacoma race kit that achieves the 20 inches on to my Frontier. I understood that it would not be as simple as a bolt on kit and would require extensive work. In the response by camburg they explained that adapting the Tacoma race kit would not work and instead I should think about buying a Tacoma or a ranger to get the numbers I was looking for and instead pointed me in the direction of Spencer low racing in Bloomington ca back then. With very little fabrication and suspension knowledge I almost figured adapting that it would not be possible.
Previously had already contacted Spencer low racing. They had some amazing quality and different options for the frontiers, but was priced more than the camburg and did not achieved as much travel. Their last option was a stage 6 (sic according to Spencer low ) which was a class 7 open front end starting at $12,000 for parts and $25k installed. That also requires tearing into the fire wall. Want to fond of that. I had settled with them that they could make me their stage 5 with custom arms 6 inch over per side. One day my dad and I were on our way to drop off the payment for the upper arms (as they would allow me to buy the kit piece by piece as I was ready) but the 2007 gps could not find their address, i called and no one answered so we went back home. Later I find out he was ripping people off and they never got their money back or their parts. I’m glad the gps had failed me.

Reactions: A.J.

kx1hundred

Apr 13, 2008
fontUCKY
Ok ok. In 2008 my friend with a double cab Tacoma ended up stumbling across engage off road in chino at the time and ended up buying his bolt on tubular arm long travel kit. He mentioned to Hassim(engaged off-road) about me having a Frontier and interested in a kit. Hassim said he had previously done a first generation Frontier, so that’s how I got involved with him. After I spoke with him he gave me an amount for the bolt on kit and brought up the idea that for the same price he would be willing to do a custom center mount kit of the existing frame rails. That sparked my interest commitment and willingness to hand him over my money. Soon enough I gave him a small deposit so he can take my truck in next and get started on with a promise that it would be done in about 3 months. By early fall time I handed my truck over to him and started tearing everything off the front end except the motor

dose

Creepy Camper
Jan 4, 2018
Mammoth Lakes CA
Interested to hear about your experience with engage.
Ive heard mixed reviews about him.
Keep the photos and updates coming.
There is also a dude in Ohio doing Nissan stuff.

edit
Im guessing your title with TTB says how well it went with the engage center mount

kx1hundred

Apr 13, 2008
fontUCKY
3 months go by and it’s still nowhere near completion. By July 2009 I leave for the marine corps hoping when I get my first days off leave I can come back home to a finished truck. Now over 9 months later I come back for a bit in October and the front still sitting on its own the rear is on blocks. I finally end up getting my truck back in April of 2010 almost a year and a half later. Once I got I was able to use the truck a bit here and there but no good testing and due to financial issues the truck sat for a year or so. After i get a chance first trip to Barstow comes the big disappointment the truck rides like crap the front is so harsh through the whoops the motor mounts give the steering shaft is bent the stock rack mounts are cracked. Gets towed back home to sit for another while. Fast forward, I do some changes to the spring rates and valving in the front some reinforcements, solid motor mounts fix some cooling issues and head out to glamis. Attempt to head down sand highway and not much improvement the suspension is all wrong. As the tires bump up the tires travel up and forward away from the cab which is why the ride is so harsh.
Losing interest to re do all the work the truck ends up sitting for many years and continues to sit but now I’m ready to get it running in a more proven way

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds