Dana 70s 6 lug conversion????

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

PaulHayslett

<span style="color: orange">Racer</span>
Dec 4, 2005
Houston, Texas
Hey DR. I don't know if I have posted on here in the last five years but I figured what the heck. I am building an overland/prerun style 06 Silverado 4x4 with undersprung deavers in the rear and an LSK 4x4 race kit up front. I picked up a Dana 70s out of a 03 Savana Van and was looking at converting the hubs to 6 lug as I do not care to run an adapter in the rear thus gaining 4 inches of unwanted width. I was curious if anybody has converted the stock chevy hub by welding and machining the OD of the hub down in order to fit a standard 6 lug pattern? I had also tossed around converting the front to 8 lug but found the hub flange to be too small for an 8x6.5 lug pattern. Any thoughts or direction, experience with this swap would be appreciated.

P.S. There is a company that makes a 14 bolt ff hub in 6 lug but I do not know if the hubs are interchangable.

PH ><>

Reactions: the bodj

85yota

TT Motorsports
Nov 18, 2004
Santa Maria, CA
www.tt-motorsports.com
I had a set of 14 bolt hubs machined by a local machine for to 6 lug for my brothers 01 silverado. They machined it for 6 lug and machined it for factory 14mm studs to be pressed into it. Also the center bore of the wheels is 4.25" so he machined the hub to that AND the axles to fit. It worked great BUT the 4.25" centerbore made me have to get 12pt 1/2" axle bolts and machine the little shoulder on them a bit so the wheel can be installed/uninstalled without problem.

PaulHayslett

<span style="color: orange">Racer</span>
Dec 4, 2005
Houston, Texas
Tommy, did y'all weld in the holes prior to machining? I was also looking at the axle flange and figured it would have to be turned down as well. Do you think I could get away with socket heads for the axle flange? Do you have any pictures of the install on your brother's truck? If so, shoot me a text if they are on your phone.

PH ><>

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Boringsville
If I'm changing a pattern on an axle, I lay out the new one first. Then only weld the plugs where needed if there is overlap. Cutting through welds sucks balls.

85yota

TT Motorsports
Nov 18, 2004
Santa Maria, CA
www.tt-motorsports.com
I welded up the previous holes and then took it to the machine shop to drill new holes AND machined the WMS flat. No photos of it on phone but should be working on it again soon and i'll grab some photos to text them to ya.

sc610

Jan 28, 2011
Santa Cruz
On my 6 lug 14 bolt hubs from solid industries I was able to get clearance with cap screws. They loosened up fairly often though and there isn't any space for any of the low profile mechanical lock washers. The whole setup was kind of a hassle.

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Boringsville
On my 6 lug 14 bolt hubs from solid industries I was able to get clearance with cap screws. They loosened up fairly often though and there isn't any space for any of the low profile mechanical lock washers. The whole setup was kind of a hassle.
Safety wire?

Installing a couple dowel pins would really help that if it doesn't have any.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds