Digital Dash Solutions?? Any insight or advice?

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
Thanks for reply Mikey!

To be honest.. I was scared of the Holley because of all the problems I was seeing and hearing in Jakes ChopShop build!

Finally getting somewhere from all your replies guys.. i appreciate it!

So, are you saying you think it's best to ditch the stock wiring harness altogether? Because you are saying the stock harness needs to get trimmed up and wires deleted for $500? And then this VATS thing for another $500.

Whereas... a new complete standalone ECU from Holley is the same price??? (1,000)

You said smog device... not sure if that was typo?? I'm not planning to win any HP wars. I just want a nice reliable V8 with 300HP and some torque.

I do NOT want to get rid of cats or anything like that. I want to keep cats and not be a polluter. (besides fuel cell vapors. haha). Depending on headers... I suppose i need to get rid of EGR too. Shit, didn't even think of that till now.

What's VATS? Some security shit?
And what was "PID's" mentioned above.

Reactions: 04yfzkid

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Fullerton, CA
PIDs are Permater ID's and they request the info from the CANbus system to display the data (like RPM, Speed, Temp, etc) they are the actual digital code for a digital dash/gauge. and all PIDs are not created equal. so using a GM PID is better then using one that a tuner created for example. they would both perform the same task but the GM one has a lot more money and engineering behind it which typically means more efficient (less lag)

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Fullerton, CA
also i would not base the reputation of Holley on the ChopShop build. Looks like the holley was never at fault for any of the issues he was/is having.

as for SMOG i think he just meant that ECU is built for a heavily SMOG controlled vehicle, where the Holley is built for a performance vehicle, so setting it up is easier/smoother than running a factory ECU and having someone tune it for you. My take away at least.

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
Gotcha!! It's a communication protocol.

And just like anything SW related... efficiency and speed all depends on programmers/code, etc. Makes sense

Also curious...

Mikey I can see incompatibility issues between 3rd party's... but, why did you say to only use Racepak with stock ECU? It seems any of those should work with stock, no?

Last edited:
Reactions: 04yfzkid

04yfzkid

I are smarts
Mar 21, 2007
Flagstaff, AZ
Thanks for reply Mikey!

To be honest.. I was scared of the Holley because of all the problems I was seeing and hearing in Jakes ChopShop build!

Finally getting somewhere from all your replies guys.. i appreciate it!

So, are you saying you think it's best to ditch the stock wiring harness altogether? Because you are saying the stock harness needs to get trimmed up and wires deleted for $500? And then this VATS thing for another $500.

Whereas... a new complete standalone ECU from Holley is the same price??? (1,000)

You said smog device... not sure if that was typo?? I'm not planning to win any HP wars. I just want a nice reliable V8 with 300HP and some torque.

I do NOT want to get rid of cats or anything like that. I want to keep cats and not be a polluter. (besides fuel cell vapors. haha). Depending on headers... I suppose i need to get rid of EGR too. Shit, didn't even think of that till now.

What's VATS? Some security shit?
And what was "PID's" mentioned above.
Vats is just anti theft stuff. You could just send out a stock computer and have it turned off for cheaper. I always recommend owning HP tuners yourself so you're not at the mercy at the hands of others. Sometimes you just need to make a small change or load in a base map from the tuner for a new set up. Similar with the harness. You can run it all stock and extra wiring and un-used plugs, spend a couple nights trimming it down yourself, or pay someone to do it. I have confidence that you could trim it yourself, but most people hate doing wiring and staring at the diagram for hours.

Smog device probably wasn't the best way to explain, but it does serve a purpose lol. A stock computers function is mostly to produce the least amount of emissions. There is no doubt you can make them do exactly what you want, but at the current price point I think the Holley is a better option.

On the Racepack, that's just my preference. Everyone and the mother seems to have one and they've been around for so long. It makes finding parts and info so much easier.

Barge, I am definitely going to use that from now on! That's hilarious.

Reactions: yltaco05

Deke

Sep 3, 2015
I run microsquirt (Megasquirt) and a combo of analog (oil pres/water temp/fuel/AFR/etc..) and digital using an I-pad with an app called Real Dash. The I-pad runs off a cheap wifi transmitter in the truck. This can be done on the CHEAP and has been stone cold reliable. The ECU is hard wired of course so the only latency you will see would be the gauges that don't really have to be within .00000001 seconds accurate like Speedo (working off the I-pad GPS) and tach. I can't really see any difference between the speed of the analog and I-pad so I would not worry about it.

You can probably go through my Instagram and see some pics or videos @DuneDeke

Reactions: smokeysevin

smokeysevin

is Ron Burgundy?
Dec 28, 2012
Houston
I run microsquirt (Megasquirt) and a combo of analog (oil pres/water temp/fuel/AFR/etc..) and digital using an I-pad with an app called Real Dash. The I-pad runs off a cheap wifi transmitter in the truck. This can be done on the CHEAP and has been stone cold reliable. The ECU is hard wired of course so the only latency you will see would be the gauges that don't really have to be within .00000001 seconds accurate like Speedo (working off the I-pad GPS) and tach. I can't really see any difference between the speed of the analog and I-pad so I would not worry about it.

You can probably go through my Instagram and see some pics or videos @DuneDeke
One cool thing you can do now with a microsquirt (megasquirt maybe) is run a USB OTG adapter on the phone and plug directly into the ecu and view using shadowdash

If you run linux on a raspberry pi with a display you have an instant digital dash that you can tune directly with via tuner studio as long as you have a mouse and keyboard in the truck.

Sean

Deke

Sep 3, 2015
One cool thing you can do now with a microsquirt (megasquirt maybe) is run a USB OTG adapter on the phone and plug directly into the ecu and view using shadowdash

If you run linux on a raspberry pi with a display you have an instant digital dash that you can tune directly with via tuner studio as long as you have a mouse and keyboard in the truck.

Sean
I had been using my laptop through the wifi for both my truck and my wifes Jeep but I recently got a free chrome book and converted it to Linux Ubuntu as a more reliable and compact tuner. It's only use will be for tuning and these things have like 9 hour battery life and a solid state drive so no more hard drive crashes when hitting big G outs while tuning away. Once you get these tuned no need to even have it with you though as they have been very reliable even running big boost.

Reactions: smokeysevin

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds