driveshaft loose

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

YellowRangerAZ

Mar 19, 2014
PHX, AZ
Hey all,
I got a 2003 ford ranger edge single cab 3.0 v6 2wd 5 speed MT
I'm getting a shaking/vibration from the rear of the vehicle. My passenger seat shakes and i can feel it under my seat. Kinda feels like the truck is shaking all over but i don't feel it in steering wheel. Thinking U-Joints, so i went underneath and noticed theres a lot of play where the drive shaft and transmission yoke come together. Is this normal?

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Easton, KS
That is pretty sloppy. It also looks to be pretty far out. Have you cycled the rear suspension to see how much engagement it has at the shallowest depth?

Bertismyname

Oct 1, 2018
San Diego
Neapco makes longer yokes. I would also pull the extension housing off of the transmission and check the bushing. Replace bushing if it is too sloppy. Get the longer yoke and cut to length. This will require cycling the suspension to check for drive shaft bottoming as it will destroy a transmission if it is bottoming. Replace u joints as they are cheap insurance and you will already have the yoke off.

Reactions: ucd baja

YellowRangerAZ

Mar 19, 2014
PHX, AZ
Neapco makes longer yokes. I would also pull the extension housing off of the transmission and check the bushing. Replace bushing if it is too sloppy. Get the longer yoke and cut to length. This will require cycling the suspension to check for drive shaft bottoming as it will destroy a transmission if it is bottoming. Replace u joints as they are cheap insurance and you will already have the yoke off.
Yeah i feel like something is going on inside the tail of the trans housing. i'll look into the longer yoke as well, thanks!

04yfzkid

I are smarts
Mar 21, 2007
Flagstaff, AZ

Attachments

Drayke

Always Baja Bound
Jan 29, 2007
Torrance
the rotation seems in family to me. The up/down isn't great though. I am not an expert by any stretch on transmissions but if your shop was to say something like a bearing or bushing is blown out, i'd believe it. personally.

Reactions: YellowRangerAZ

Bertismyname

Oct 1, 2018
San Diego
I just watched the video. Grab that bastard with two hands and shake the ever living fuck out of it. If you dont feel anything . Then you can go back to caressing and stroking your shaft. You have to check driveline slop with the wheels off the ground. Put wrenches on shit. Put pry bars on shit. This isn't tough to figure out. But you need your drivetrain unloaded to find it. It will be under load if it is on the ground. If you can find it with rear tires down. Then you probably have a big problem.

Reactions: YellowRangerAZ

Latest posts

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds