Electrical Question - how to wire up an Amp Meter

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

stevyboy

Oct 12, 2010
Long Beach
www.youtube.com
So bought this guy. I mainly wanted it for the Volt meter and well I should have just bought a volt meter but... another meter monitoring amps wouldn't hurt.

My question is how to wire it up properly for Amp metering.

My assumption is that I would be wiring this up to the negative side of the alternator. This is what I gathered from researching online. Is that wrong?

If that is correct...

What size wire should I run?
My Alternator is a 200amp, what should it be spitting out during normal use?
Should I wire it up to something else?
Truck is a 1994 ford ranger.

Thanks

Horunner

Aug 10, 2014
Yucaipa
I believe you need to run one to alternator hot lead and one to ground for the amp, then just one to hot and one to ground for the volt meter like normal.

stevyboy

Oct 12, 2010
Long Beach
www.youtube.com
Amperage wil vary and depend on Engine RPM. The 200 AMP alt won't put out 200 AMP at idle but it should put out close to that minus the load at RPM
So... how would I wire this in. Seems like using a 12 or 14 gage wire would be way too much for that type of amps or am I missing something?

Horunner

Aug 10, 2014
Yucaipa
It only has 3 prongs. So currently I'm just running the volts off of a hot and ground. Would I need a second ground then for the amps?
If it didn’t come with any diagram I’d assume two prongs are hot, one ground. Does it distinguish which prong goes where at all? I’d probably run the ground to the battery or a ground strap then run the hots to the alt and battery

Edit, I’m an idiot. The Amazon ad shows where they go. One neg goes the the alternator negative and one goes to battery negative, while the positive only goes to battery positive.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds