Expedition Independent Rear Suspension 9.75" Specs?

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

smokeysevin

is Ron Burgundy?
Dec 28, 2012
Houston
I am looking for any info on the bigger 9.75" 03+ IRS rear from the Navigator and Expedition for my latest thought experiment/fever dream/peyote fueled vision quest.

Supposedly some came with a limited slip but I can't find shit about them.

It looks like the stock track width on the expos were 67.3" which is fine, I need to either redril to 6*5.5 or run an adapter anyways.

What is the stock travel numbers?

Does anyone make any kind of parts for them? I though chaos did for some reason but I didn't see it.

Approximate WMS?

Theoretical strength difference between the 8.8" rear and the 9.75" rear

Do both use the same half shafts? What is likely to be the weak link?

Max tire size will be 35" no more than 350hp (who am I kidding, its 240 to the wheels downhill if I am lucky)

Sean

Reactions: Horunner

smokeysevin

is Ron Burgundy?
Dec 28, 2012
Houston
Factory spec for rear travel on the Expedition IRS is 9". Not a lot, but I'm sure you could get a some more out of it.
9" of travel isnt bad to start with. Since I would be fabbing new brackets/arms/mounts anyways the big thing is the spindles/hubs and axles.

I am not familiar with the cv setup so I don't know if there is anything similar enough to cross over.

Just from a quick look there seems to be 2 sets of axles, one is like 33" the other is 31" so it may be possible to swap actual axles even if the cvs are different.

I guess one is for the 8.8 version and one for the 9.75.

Still need to do lots of digging.

Sean

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

smokeysevin

is Ron Burgundy?
Dec 28, 2012
Houston
What is this project? I like different...
going to use the diff for front or rear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rear diff, I have been weighing my options as far as a new diff setup for my tundra to replace the sloppy 12 bolt truck I have in it now. I have always had a softspot for the Ivan Stewart ppi 015 truck which ran an interesting rear setup.
I gave some thoughts to 48" links to keep the bed but the more I looked at it the more it would end up being a headache and a compromise.

If I was going that route I would need a new driveshaft, I would go ford 9" full float, and probably be capped at 16" of travel to keep the bed which would limit my uptravel. I want to keep the stock fuel tank which means 3 link with panhard bar and I didn't especially like that idea.

My thoughts for the irs setup are to make a cradle for it so it bolts in under the bed floor, run 2 of the 36-1/8 inch (passenders side I think) axles to make the arms symmetrical, run either a cantilever similar to how I have it now or run a coilover similar to the front. Throw the dominator bags I have now to help when towing, and toss a stock sway bar in with disconnects. Basically just build some tube arms with heims on them for simplicitys sake.

Its a dumb idea but it could be neat, not for pure travel or anything but to make it a decent all rounder. The truck doesnt see nearly the kind of stuff yall do and I am kind of tired of my sagged out g57's.

Sean

smokeysevin

is Ron Burgundy?
Dec 28, 2012
Houston
9" of travel isnt bad to start with. Since I would be fabbing new brackets/arms/mounts anyways the big thing is the spindles/hubs and axles.

I am not familiar with the cv setup so I don't know if there is anything similar enough to cross over.

Just from a quick look there seems to be 2 sets of axles, one is like 33" the other is 31" so it may be possible to swap actual axles even if the cvs are different.

I guess one is for the 8.8 version and one for the 9.75.

Still need to do lots of digging.

Sean

Some of this is wrong, the outers and hubs are the same from 8.8 to 9.75, the iner axles are a different spline count but the outers are the same.The 9.75 has 2 different lenght axles, they should swap side to side but I want to confirm it first.

Unrelated, there was a "Funkmaster Flex" expedition in like 08... Yeah.

Sean

mikey09120

Michael Gonzalez
Dec 5, 2009
San Luis Obispo, CA
www.facebook.com
I'm interested. I've contemplated doing this exact thing but front and rear with the motor set back into the cab quite a bit. Full independent suspension using 2x 9.75 IRS diffs and 4x rear hubs/calipers/rotors from the expedition. I'm shooting for 90" track width with high backspaced wheels to get the longest axles and most travel I can. It's all in my mind but hopefully, soon the idea will come to life.

Reactions: smokeysevin

smokeysevin

is Ron Burgundy?
Dec 28, 2012
Houston
Hoping to get some parts in hand in a few weeks to measure them and see if it will be worth it.

That sounds like a cool build!

Sean

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds