Extended Travel CV Axle Half Shafts

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

Fire

Feb 22, 2021
Arizona
I posted this over on the Explorer forum, but wanted to share here for those interested:

I was checking into Trakmotive and their extended travel CV axles they now offer. They don't list them for front SLA IFS Ford Ranger/Explorer/Sport Trac, but I got word from their sales rep that they are working on it for this year. Coverage would be 00-10 Ranger, which would also fit the 01-05 Sport Trac, and maybe some 95-01 Explorers. Here is their flyer:

03/2020: New Extended CV Axles Designed Specifically for Lifted Vehicles | TrakMotive

Sounds like great news, as I tend to get some binding or clunk when I am on the trail and maxing out the stock CV axle travel.

Fire

Feb 22, 2021
Arizona
What i've discovered is that if the axles bind up under droop. Limit straps will keep them alive and the extra 1/2" or so of down travel you get doesn't matter
You are right. It's just crazy that even the OEM CVs bind before full droop esp when turning. The articulation already sucks (like 5" of travel), so putting limits straps in there just makes it even crappier. I could see it on a long travel or mid travel. I am always worried about breaking CVs when they get to clicking/clunking. I could almost go for these, just for peace of mind, if the price point is right.

No dinero for a long travel or SAS, --just a poor man's moneypit.

--I'm gonna check and see if I could get a bit more droop with a shock or mount change (before the upper a-arm hits the frame), and maybe increase compression with a bump stop trim. Add it all up and see what that gives.

85yota

TT Motorsports
Nov 18, 2004
Santa Maria, CA
www.tt-motorsports.com
No dinero for a long travel or SAS, --just a poor man's moneypit.
I would just sell the offroad vehicle because they will always be a moneypit. Also an 02 Sport Trac isn't a cheap moneypit vehicle. Sell it and buy an older explorer and you can upgrade that with money you still have leftover from the sport trac, unless you have payments than good luck.

Reactions: mikey09120

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds