f 150 build

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

Ryan Jubera

Apr 12, 2008
Hemet
Well, the week before the race was a typical "Jubera Week" because we decided to run a third seat in the truck (which required modifying the cage and center console), we also found out we were starting 5th off the line and would be the last class running, which meant it'd be close to dusk by the time we got off the course. So we decided to add more lights, and a rear bumper since we had about 5 heavy hitters starting behind us. This would only be our second race and with a stock motor still we figured we'd need it. We also decided to add ram assist to the truck because of the bigger tires and the fact we went through a box a Primm. There were lots of late nights and lots of help from a buddy, we called it a night at 3am the night before we were supposed to leave for Laughlin.

After a few hours of shut eye we hit the road Friday morning (we were supposed to leave by 4am but ended up sleeping in longer than we'd planned and ended up leaving at 7am) in hopes we could make the fun run so we could get some eyes on the course for race day. Turns out the GPS had other plans for us! We ended up missing our turn and lost service. Going off the map we just kept driving because we were already half way and turing around would have added another 30 min. It still took us like 6 hours to make it to Laughlin lol. We ended up missing the fun run by 30 min and we were pretty bummed but happy to finally be there. We unloaded and headed to registration to get all the paperwork completed. After that we headed to tech which took close to 3 hours. It was pretty cool to go through the whole process because when we raced Primm we showed up late and ended up being the last ones to tech. We ended up staying up late Friday night to help KTB racing get his truck done as he was racing 7S and class 2000. His first heat was at 7am and he still had to late tech. I think we called it quits at like 3am. At this point in time I was running on like 20ish hours of sleep for the past 9 days. I woke up the next morning around 6am and couldn't go back to sleep and it was starting to catch up with me because I wasn't feeling very good. I was just ready to get in the truck. Our late night prep must have paid off because Kevin got 1st in 7S.

Finally it was our turn to get in the truck and let Betsy eat. We started second row off the line and got the whole shot for about 50 feet until their HP kicked in. hahaha Lucky for us right after the straight is where the MOON BUMPS started and we walked on them. After that was the power line rd and we had nothing for the heavy hitters behind us with over double our HP but we had already decided to run our own pace and just have a good time. A few miles later were were chasing down 1422 and coming out of a left hand corner the dirt went from wet to dry and the rear of the truck started to step out and caught an edge and we started to go over as soon as I felt it I turned into it and gassed it. We were at about 70* when we pulled out. IDK how we pulled out of it but we did and we were off and rolling again. A few miles later we were still chasing down 1422 and coming into big left hand berm we had Nick Isenhouer and another truck trying to pass us into the the berm. Nick got us and the other truck tagged my mini fender and ended up coming into the berm and as he turned into it his front tire ripped off right in front of us and we were in the berm. We slammed on the brakes and it felt like we were going to roll over. We slowly backed out hoping not to roll or get slammed from behind as we still had like 30 trucks behind us. We made it around another route and made up some time and passed a few of the truck in the rough that got by us on the straights. The rest of the race was pretty smooth and we finished keeping all four tires on the ground. We were pretty pumped and from our best guess we were still in the top 10 out of roughly 40 trucks. After pulling into the pits and chatting for a little we started to look over the truck and realized we had a major issue. The passenger side upper link had a slight bend in it. it had about a 1/4" to 3/8" bow in it if you would have put a straight edge on it (We believe this happened when we almost rolled on our first lap, because when we came down it side-loaded the truck pretty good). We decided to call it a day and get some grub and hit the hay.

Day 2 I felt ready and eager to go. We got straight to work and popped the upper link off and ended up using the railing on the trailer and a jack to straighten it. We roamed the pits and ended up finding some tubing from the SRD guys who were nice enough to give us a few feet of tubing so we could sleeve it. We WD40'd the heck out out the link and slide-hammered it into place. Threw a few tacks on it and we were ready to roll. At the starting line in the 3rd row we knew we would get beat off the line but knowing they would have to slow for the moon bumps we would have the advantage and would make our move there. We ended up passing a few truck and were back behind 1422 who had started next to us. He pulled on us once we hit power line rd but we caught him once we hit the rough stuff and made the pass. We were on rails day 2. We were running about 15 minute laps day one and were doing about 14 minute laps day 2. We started to pass class 2000 trucks and a few 1400 trucks at the end of our second lap and were feeling good. Truck was doing amazing. Our third lap was nice and we put a big gap between the trucks we had been battling with before. On our last lap we took off and plowed through the moon bumps and after the moon bumps were some big rollers that were super sandy that were off camber and would suck the truck into them no matter how hard I tried to stay away from that line. Before we knew it we were doing sky wheelies. As we were just about through them we heard a crack and a weird shudder. I though we twisted a drive line or something in the trans went. We were still able to move so we slowly got off the track and jumped out and assessed the situation. I was pretty sure we broke an axle or the spool as we only had one tire fire. Upon getting out of the truck, we also realized we had lost both bedsides, we knew the passenger side was bound to fall off during lap 3 but had no idea the driver side had also decided to come off. I was pretty bummed about the DNF but happy at the same time because all the upgrades we had done worked out perfectly and there was nothing we could have done about an axle. I was pretty stoked because we had about half a lap on the next 1400 truck. It took about 5 minutes for the them to come by. It was bittersweet because we were in third place overall when we broke. We had an amazing time and wouldn't change a thing.

After pulling the rear end apart this weekend, the disappointment just got worse. All the new bearings and gears are toast from the metal from the axle, but we will be back with more HP and bigger axles. Stay tuned.

Attachments

Ryan Jubera

Apr 12, 2008
Hemet
Thats bad ass Ryan! failure or not, its all about the fun. didnt you just upgrade the rear end?
Thanks! It is all about the fun.
Yeah we designed and had our own hubs machined and new housing as well as new brakes etc. The only thing we kept was the 3rd and axles.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

Ryan Jubera

Apr 12, 2008
Hemet
aahhh, go figure, the only things you carried over.... arent those 40 spline already? or were they 35 spline?
They are 40 spline 300 m. I was pretty surprised we broke an axle. It was probably due to the 39s and brought course.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

redeyeracing619

Jun 13, 2010
San Diego
good pitting with you guys again!
we were the first truck to come up on you when you were stopped for the guy that ripped his wheel off in front of you. your truck looked like a spider on a wall when you were sitting on that berm. We had nowhere to go! we backed up a little bit, and just went for it not knowing what was on the other side of that huge berm. luckily somehow we got back on coarse in front of the hot pits. not sure how much of coarse we cut... lol
we grenaded the 3rd member at the beginning of our last lap. put our spare in that night and we were ready to race the next day! started 15th day 2 and finished in 7th and overall 10th for the weekend!!!

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds