F150 TTB steering Options, boxes/rams/pumps...

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

sirhk100

Racer
Feb 24, 2003
Las Vegas
What's the hot setup for one finger steering on a 90's F150 with equal beams and dual swing steering? People talk about PSC, Howe, Lee all day long yet when I go to their pages I get some info but not feeling remotely like I'm finding everything needed.

Seems like Howe wants to convert over to a Chevy steering box which I'm not opposed to but any idea what's involved in getting it mounted? Do I need to redesign my entire steering system to work around the box? Pitman arm? Etc? From what I understand the Howe system will set me back about $2500 for pump/box/ram/reservoir/hoses, etc. Complete system... But I don't know if that's all direct bolt on or what?

BTW, to add to the complication, I'm currently running a LS based motor with a stock chevy pump which so far seems to last about 100 miles before failing mated up to the stock F150 steering box. Basically I currently can barely steer the truck but luckily it's hardly used and spends more time sitting waiting to be built than anything else. But it's currently aggressively under the knife so...

What about PSC or Lee? What do they offer?

Yes, I haven't called any of them yet. I'm still a ways out from pulling the trigger but simply curious what others have done at this point? Hoping this summer I can rework my steering system as it's the last really big "want" on my list of items for my truck that aren't basically already in motion or done.

Thanks,
Khris

hxckidd

Clean-Dezert.org
Feb 14, 2002
so cal
www.clean-dezert.org
from my experience... When tryingi to diagnose my steering issues... Jeff at howe was super helpful even though it wasnt his parts. Heard great things about PSS although he wasnt super helpful even though it was his stuff.

I dealt with Lee with betty when getting new pullies and getting the pump rebuilt... They were really nice to deal with.
Ultimately i have no idea, but i would call them, tell them what you have and i feel like it would be easy for them to sell you a full system.

yltaco05

Jan 18, 2006
Fullerton, CA
desolate sells a kit for the bronco so i assume it should work for you as well. not much info online, but they do sell a ford steering gear with hydro ports and have pictures with a howe ram installed on their swing steer kit

sirhk100

Racer
Feb 24, 2003
Las Vegas
I saw the stuff on Desolate's page and figured I would give them a call as well as it gets closer to reality. I see solo has Howe stuff on their page as well... When I get closer I'll definitely be calling all of the players to try and figure out who's got what but figured right now I was hoping to get some real world, I've used xxx and it's rad or eh or... Or I wish I had...

zachwabbit

Oct 18, 2017
Jamul
Second vote for Desolate’s stuff, I’ve never run their steering setup on my F150 but they have awesome customer service. Greg always takes the time to talk details about products n stuff. Solo is good people too.

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Easton, KS
I have run plenty of Howe stuff with good results. There pumps need tweeking occasionally but other then that they are bullet proof.

Lee used to be the shit. Tommy has retired so??????????

PSC, no clue

PSS, guy worked for Lee for years, knows his shit. https://powersteeringsolution.com/

Swapping over to the Cheby box is pretty easy and will make your life a lot easier in the long run.

Reactions: sirhk100

84prerunner

2:AM Fabrication
Feb 7, 2008
Covina CA
I’ve dealt with a bunch of PS issues over the last year. PSS stuff is decent, but he can be a dick when trying to get info and we have had probably 10 of his pumps leak (even right out of the box). LEE is by far the most helpful even when not using there parts and the one truck I’ve dealt with using a lee built ford box and lee pump has the easiest steering of any and no leaks. With that I plan to use LEE

sirhk100

Racer
Feb 24, 2003
Las Vegas
Swapping over to the Cheby box is pretty easy and will make your life a lot easier in the long run.

I'm far from the smartest and best but at the same time I don't think I'm a complete idiot. I put a relatively decent amount of effort into cycling and working on the dual swing linkage a few years back and was never actually happy with my results. I've done a few single swing setups and was always happy but this is my first adventures into dual and getting around that 2nd swinger with the tie rod to the spindle at full bump resulted in a unhappy bend that I really didn't want but did anyways... The whole time I kept thinking that I either needed to move the steering arms on the knuckles or move the steering box to allow me to shift other things to get the clearance in order to run straight or almost straight tie rods.

Going to the Chevy box, is this potentially a secret in getting the geometry of all the tie rods lined up without crazy bends? I'm happy with how mine cycles but my driver's side tie rod has an uncomfortable amount of intentional bend in it! To the point that I'm even selective about what pictures I post because I don't need all the comments telling me what I already know mostly by people that couldn't make it any better themselves! LOL

But I've gotta feeling you know the secret sauce to making everything clear and work together...

Last edited:

85yota

TT Motorsports
Nov 18, 2004
Phoenix, AZ
Going chevy box and moving the swinger on passenger frame rail forward will get you straight or very close to straight tie rods.

Reactions: sirhk100

partybarge_pilot

Uno mas Cervesa!
May 14, 2004
Easton, KS
But I've gotta feeling you know the secret sauce to making everything clear and work together...
Well, I thought I had it figured out with the single swing rotated box on the Samurai! But the bent P-side tierod says differently.

Dave at JD has it down to a science. I posted up pics of the 8 truck and his ranger a while ago but I can't seem to find them now.

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds