F2Whiskey Daily Driver Tow Pig F250 SuperDuty

Welcome to DezertRangers
Join the community. Register today for all the benefits of membership.
Register

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
Shit, those had another 10K on them at least. maybe 20K if you stopped riding the brakes like an old lady.........

LOL. Rear ones actually had JUST started scraping. And yea... rotors were still in spec actually. But I felt like they were warped.

Most of this work was actually driven by an annoying squeal. I thought it was the brakes. After fixing the brakes... it was still there. I noticed the sound seemed to come from the passenger wheel when I spun the tires on jackstands..

I thought the hub bearing was going out. SO, I bought a $500 hub. Did all the work to take my hub off. Shit, my bearing was perfect! Looked brand new. WTF? Then i figure it out. Why is the axle/u joint turning when I spin this wheel!??

The fucking hub was locked. Manually! But it wasn't on the locked selection. Took other side out and tested it in this side. Noticed immediately that the gears were spaced apart on the good one. This one had failed. So the squeeling was actually the axle spinning. Apparently the dust seals haven't appreciated being spun like it was in 4x4 for who knows how long! LOL

Motherfucker. All that work because I was too dumb to realize what was going on. Well, at least I got to return the $500 hub.

here was the cuplrit

84projectford

Staff member
Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
you REALLY might wanna check those u-joints on that axle then. shouldnt be sqeaking even if you daily drove it that way

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
Doesn't seem like the actual u-joint squeeling. It sounds like the dust seal or something inside the actual axle tube.

84projectford

Staff member
Sep 8, 2010
Phoenix Az
Doesn't seem like the actual u-joint squeeling. It sounds like the dust seal or something inside the actual axle tube.
ah thats most likely the vacuum seal that actuates the hubs when they are in "auto". they can squeal when not in 4wd (no vac applied) from running dry iirc or when they go bad and you hit 4wd, they squeal from air getting by the seal under vac.

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
ah thats most likely the vacuum seal that actuates the hubs when they are in "auto". they can squeal when not in 4wd (no vac applied) from running dry iirc or when they go bad and you hit 4wd, they squeal from air getting by the seal under vac.
Yea, you nailed it!! I put that shit all back together thinking it would work. Drove all the way to Sedona, AZ. Went on Schnebly hill road. Tried to engage 4x4. NOPE! hahaha.

Notes: 112K replaced Fuel filter and did oil change....

I bought new seals and the tool to install it. Will get it done soon.

FasterNU

Mega Member
Jun 28, 2006
San Diego
Replaced my hub seals for vacuum 4x4. Managed to destroy that new dorman locking hub... by pulling on it with my hands!! Oopsie. Need to stop working out I guess. LOL

So gonna buy an actual ford one this time. Still way cheaper than paying someone else to do this job. And I learned something.

Can i edit without bumping thread for maintenance.

Fuel Filters at 136K

Last edited:
Reactions: partybarge_pilot

Latest posts

Today's birthdays

New Threads

New Classifieds

latest desert trips

Member Builds